Instructor Interview Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had this interview last night. Two men brought their wives and daughters to look into classes for the two girls and the wives. They asked many of these questions, and I volunteered most of the rest. It was a pleasant chat, as I can clearly and positively answer all of those. Many times, one would stop say, "See! This is exactly what we wanted to hear!" or " I feel good about this." They had been to other places and apparantly not had good outcomes.
I was happy and comfortable. I like prspective students who have put time and thought into learning to dive. They will be good students and work hard, for they are already investing in it.

I also realize that people are putting their lives in my hands. I can train them well, to be safe independent divers, or I can endanger them with quick poor instruction. They have the right to check me out.

With all due respect, Crowley, it's unrealistic to expect anyone to give a satisfactory (or at least 100% satisfactory) answer to the single question "What is your training philosophy" when asked by a prospective student. First, because new and prospective students may not understand what "competently" really means in the context of diving, though the extension of being comfortable diving with them as a buddy really helps. Second, most people aren't going to answer as eloquently as you have. Third, what one person requires in a "competent" buddy isn't necessarily what the next person requires so it leaves large amounts of ambiguity depending upon the asker's own personal philosophies.

First point - for sure - many of my students don't have any clue what they are letting themselves in for. By extension, the original interview questions may prove to be largely irrelevant unless the prospective student has read a great deal about diving up-front
Second point - thanks for the compliment - most people say "verbose"! :D
Third - I agree - and there is a world of difference between training to dive where I am located in relatively calm tropical waters and in zero viz with howling currents and freezing temperatures.

As for asking piano instructors, volleyball coaches, and the like similar barrage of questions, it's a bit disingenuous to make that comparison. Most of those types of instruction don't involve situations that can easily kill the instructee.
Touche - and a fair point. There are always extensions to this and I have seen substandard dive instructors and indeed have experienced sub-standard doctors and I think I would add with a wry smile we have all experienced sub-standard politicians!

Regarding newness to SCUBA instruction, my class had 10 students. We had 3 instructors and a DM with us at all times. One of the instructors was clearly in an "intern" type situation where he was learning or a new instructor. I was under the impression this was standard, but it may have just been how that particular shop did things.
Many shops do - I personally learned and subsequently assisted in exactly that sort of environment. My current employers work in a similar fashion and I believe that this is the only way to introduce new instructors.

I agree with your general sentiment that this list is, as given by the OP, aggressive and antagonistic, but to suggest that they aren't important things to know about a SCUBA instructor is simply not true. Different people have different comfort levels and this list will help sort through those comfort levels with far less confusion than the simple "what's your philosophy" question will.

I think there are indeed some important questions on there, but overall the list is somewhat antagonistic. I would be happy to answer all those questions from a prospective student, but I think some of them are irrelevant and others would be better if they were phrased differently. As I said earlier, a lot of them imply the student knows a lot about diving beforehand - for example how many people even know that there are different finning styles before they enroll? Asking an instructor if they teach buoyancy is a bit like asking a bear if it visits the lavatory in the woods, although I appreciate some bears might take a dump on your front lawn! Having said that, if an instructor answers "no" then maybe we start to weed out some of the folks we don't need working in the industry.

Good discussion - lots to think about

Cheers

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom