Instructor Interview Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Dave.
A percentage?
I haven't kept track of the #'s..been some.

Prior to havein' someone broken hearted..feeling defeated. I do my best to "Interview" too.

some are better off snorkelers.

some ...can do a Bubble Blowing session..SHALLOW..just to try breathing on scuba..
some....can do a DiscoverScuba session..with a few skills..in the pool....
some....can do a DiscoverScuba Diving Day..with a few skills in the pool and some Ocean Dives..
some....can "EARN" Scuba Diver Status
some....can "EARN" Open Water Status

It's the "DiveMaster" Candidates...... a few..just didn't make it. I remember them the most!

I've only not certified one diving student, perhaps that's because we have a real swim test?

I've only not certified one diving student, perhaps that's because we have a real swim test?
That may go to the type of student that seeks out instructors such like yourself.

Having witnessed hundreds of students doing their OW checkout dives, I'm frankly surprised that some people even made it to the dive park, much less actually diving underwater.

There is no doubt that a dedicated instructor can work miracles given the time and energy but without slipping off into anomalies, I would think that a 10% failure rate would not be uncommon.

I think it had to do with teaching at a university, having a rather rigorous watermanship test, committed students (a full set of gear on day one) and being able to be selective (typically four students for each available slot).

I certainly wouldn't have a problem answering the questions but if someone came to me with a list of questions like that I would be very curious what is motivating them to approach it like this.

I think, as in all interviews, that the questions actually say a lot about the interviewer as well as the person being interviewed. With that in mind, I'll list a number of your questions and point out what I think I see as a number of underlying assumptions that you might want to reflect upon:

2. How long have you been diving?
3. How long have you been certifying divers?

These two questions would seem to indicate an underlying assumption that the "quantity" of experience also indicates something about the "quality" of the instructor's class. While there may be some correlation, I would submit that there are some instructors out there with vast amounts of experience who are not very good. Likewise, there are some instructors with less experience who may be in a position to deliver an excellent course.

9. Have you ever failed to certify a student? Why or why not?

There seems to be a general assumption (not just yours) out there that instructors who "fail" students are somehow better than instructors who do not. Some instructors (and agencies!) even pride themselves on the number of failures and see it as an expression of quality.

I would submit that contrary to what you might be expecting that if an instructor fails a significant number of their students that there is a problem. I would expect to see the best instructors answer this question with a statement that they do not certify everyone who starts with a course but that they will keep trying for as long as the student wants to keep trying.

In my own case, for example, I've never "failed" anyone but there have been several whose training I stopped at various stages and either handed them off to another instructor with more experience with their particular problem or something like that. One student I refused to start training at all and sent to get swimming lessons after a trial session in the pool. Good instructors go the extra mile and do whatever it takes to get the student to their goal within the required standards. Bad instructors, in my opinion, write them off and fail them. There's a big difference between saying "not yet" and "not you".

2. Do you teach the panic cycle?
3. Do you work on buoyancy?
4. Do you work on trim?
5. What method do you use to properly weight your students?

These items are important to me because I think they often come out as the core difference in attitude between instructors who teach their students to go underwater and those who teach students to dive.

However, the questions are not well formulated because in some way or another they all require attention in most agencies courses. It's the amount of attention to these items you want to try to get your finger behind, isn't it?

For example, on the panic cycle, I teach not only about the panic cycle but I spend time on breathing and relaxation techniques, which I get students to try to apply from day one.... prevention is better than cure. it's nice to know that you saw it coming when you panicked because the instructor covered it.... but it much nicer if you just never panic because they taught you how to relax.

Likewise with buoyancy control and trim. I spend a lot of time on this in my course because it's important but if you asked me and three other instructors if you cover it, we'll all say yes. But how do you know who is covering it well?

What you really want to ask here is *HOW* they teach these things.

6. Will I be learning skills kneeling on the pool bottom or mid-water?

The assumption here would appear to be that if you "learn" skills on the bottom that you aren't learning how to dive. However, I would submit that that *goal* you're trying to reach by the *end* of the course is to be able to do skills will neutrally buoyant. The most effective method of *introducing* skills, however, may be on the bottom. Certainly for some skills. For example, clearing a partially flooded mask is one of the first things you do in the OW course, and my opinion is that it's ineffective to introduce this skill while floating around if someone has literally never been on scuba before. I introduce it (and the other skills in mod-1) on the bottom. However, by mod-3 they're able to do it while swimming.

So it's the goal that matters and so we start with the *end* in mind but don't necessarily demand to see the *end* result at the start. Sometimes it takes more than one step.

With other skills, there isn't any difference. No-mask swimming, for example, is a skill that (the way I teach it) starts from neutral swimming and ends in neutral swimming so in this case you never touch the bottom. However at the point in the course where you do this skill, you already have several hours of practice under your belt so you're not learning neutral swimming anymore, it's something you already know.

The point here is that demanding to see everything while floating from the very first try isn't always the most efficient way of teaching (or learning). It would appear to me that what you want to know when you ask this question is if you will be able to do skills while swimming at the end of the course (the goal). So why don't you ask that question instead?

R..

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several posts were removed as off topic or inappropriate for this forum. The New Divers area has special rules as noted at the top of the forum. Lets remember we were all new once
Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

Nice list and I wouldn't mind answering the questions...they're all very relevant. Though, many of the questions can be learned ahead of time like what agency will they teach etc. Otherwise all very good questions.

Keep in mind that you also must consider your personal "vibe" for the instructor too. Some people may not mesh well with certain personalities. Type D personalities might be up front and to the point and hate fluff...so they may not enjoy or learn from a type A personality who's relaxed, joking, and telling stories to relate information for students.

Never forget the "vibe" factor...always very important.

Also, never underestimate a discovery pool session with an instructor if the LDS is willing. I have worked with a few and have taken a number of people in the pool to give them a quick little discovery lesson for free as a promotion to get you interested in taking a class. You get to evaluate how the instructor is, how patient they are, and if you can learn from them all for free...very nice if the LDS is willing to do it...never hurts to ask.

Very interesting list and as an Instructor I would be happy to answer any or all these questions. However I think you might have missed out on two fairly important questions 1. How much does the course cost and what does the cost cover ie gear hire pool entry boat dives etc, and 2. Does the cost of the course guarantee me getting a certification card if not do I get some sort of refund if I fail.

As someone who just finished my OW class and I'm doing my dives by referral (not finished them yet) I found the list very interesting. I will say, though, that if you came at me with a list of questions like that and just started asking them, I'd be put off by it.

I found the answers to most of my questions (which were essentially the same as yours) by general conversation when stopping in to the shop where I did my class. None of the questions are particularly "aggressive" by themselves, it's the list as a whole that comes off antagonistic. I think you'll find, though, that a good dynamic conversation with someone from the shop will be able to get all the same information without putting anyone off or giving them the impression you have a "bad attitude".

JoeyP

So - if a potential student asks all these questions of a freshly qualified instructor, should that student seek training elsewhere?

Experienced instructors have to, by default, be inexperienced instructors at some point. Does that mean there is no validity to their ability as instructors?

It would be great to look back at ourselves with 5 or 10 or 30 years of hindsight and say we are great instructors because we can answer questions about how many people we have certified or what particular finning techniques we teach or whether our students are kneeling in the sand or hovering in perfect trim mid-water to demonstrate basic skills.

Does the concept that an instructor did not certify a particular student mean that there is something lacking in the instructor or in the student? I have refused to certify students and they looked *relieved* afterwards, because they were learning to dive for somebody else's reasons, not their own. Some did just not belong underwater. I have also extended my recreational courses (with no extra pay) for some students who really, *really* wanted to dive but had problems with some aspect of the skills.

As Diver0001 says - quantity does not imply quality, neither does insisting students have this that or the other equipment before they begin, or continue, a basic diver class.

As always - transfer the questions to another profession:
- how long were you at medical school?
- how long have you been a doctor?
- how many patients have you treated?
- how many times were you unable to diagnose an illness?
- do you believe in alternative medicine?
- how many injections have you administered and in what doses?
- how many of your patients have died?

Has anybody who has posted here asked these questions of their doctor? Of all their doctors or nurses? How about relevant questions to School Teachers? Driving instructors? Piano Teachers? Volleyball/Football/Swim Coaches? Skiiing Instructors? Police? News Readers? Politicians?

If you grilled all the other people in your life from whom you received some form of training or advice or guidance or information (including your own parents) as to whether or not they were competent to deliver that guidance we would be stuck in a never-ending cycle of nobody doing anything except asking questions.

One question is enough: What is your training philosophy?
Answer: I teach people to dive competenly and safely to a standard where I would be comfortable to have them as a dive buddy.

Safe diving folks

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom