Instructor Interview Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of respondents seem to see this list of questions as an interrogation. The first thing I thought of when I read it was "job interview," which it seems to me to be exactly right. It IS a job interview, and considering the potential consequences of substandard training, it's a very important job.

Perhaps I'm reading more into the questions than was there. I'm not offended in any way by the questions & like I said I agree with most of them. The way some of the questions were worded seemed to come across negatively to me, was all. That doesn't mean that that's they way it would be spoken.

No
African or European?

I see nothing at all wrong with the way the questions were worded or asked. I might also though add
What is your personal philosophy regarding training?
Does your agency affiliation reflect and agree with that?
Would you allow any student you trained to dive with your son or daughter without a pro in the water right out of OW class if conditions were similar or better?
If not why not?
How many different environments have you dived in?
What is your favorite?
Do you take questions from students out side of class times if they are having an issue with something?
Who sets the schedules, you or the shop?
Will I have the same instructor for all classroom and pool sessions?

And I agree it is a job interview so anything except religion, race, politics, and size of naughty bits are fair questions. I would even ask how old the instructor was. Some may feel more at ease relating to someone of a different age group. What has to be remembered is that the student is HIRING someone to train them. I don't care if it is through a shop. The student is the client who is paying a temporary agency(shop) to provide an employee to train them. So why would anyone expect to not have to be interviewed as if they were applying for any other job? The problem is NOT ENOUGH students know to do this.

I just had an interview with students. I had the first one with them in March at a show. They came here after talking with other instructors much closer. I went over the class outline, showed them all the materials, explained again my philosophy, and as a result we had a 4 hour class session and I got a check in my pocket and another session scheduled. I will answer any question about me or my class as long as it is not one of those that I noted and there may be exceptions to that if I choose to and it will set the students minds at ease. I also showed them my PA child and Girl Scout volunteer clearances as two are 12 and 16 yr old girls. What is the big deal with doing this? None that I can see.

I searched these forums, did a little thinking, and compiled a list of questions to print out and go into a interview with.
Nice post, D.R. Thought-provoking, especially as I just wrapped up checkouts today and am looking at starting another class. I think I could handle all of them gladly but not one of my 250+ students has ever asked to interview me before signing up. I guess they choose the shop (only one in the area with indoor pool on site) and take whatever instructor's slated to teach that iteration.

I'd suggest that number ten under Personal ("who's the second-best") might be phrased instead as "who else would you recommend." There are at least three instructors in our little neck of the woods to whom I'm happy to steer candidates. An instructor who knows his or her colleagues' individual strengths can sometimes recommend a best fit.

-Bryan

PS. For the wags with wicked questions, don't forget "What is the answer to the ultimate question about life, the universe, and everything?"

Tammy
I get how someone may feel this list... to be in a negative, somewhat confrontational in tone.
Ya just can't hear a tone..in this forum.

There's no way..I'm gonna be listing the questions AND addressing the answers..here.

During a face to face..or by phone..most of these questions will be addressed anyway.
Interviewing me, allows an avenue for me to interview the student as well.
I want a clear understanding of our roles (mine as the Instructor...yours as the student)

My girlfriend decided to get certified...

I've worked both sides of this transaction for a state side LDS. I've fielded initial calls, explained the training program, taken the payment, and ultimately taught OW and continuing educations classes assigned to me or my wife as independent contractors for the same shop. I've also worked at a high volume dive resort that caters to US and European divers.

This is a fantastic list of questions to ask. Students seeking dive instruction should be more informed of the product they are purchasing. This would be a fun interview.

Assuming it's a two way conversation, I'd like to ask the following:

1. Diving is a risky activity. Life insurance companies charge premiums for folks that scuba dive, sky dive, mountain climb or fly private airplanes. Why are you interested in learning to dive?

2. How comfortable are you in, on, or around water?

Mike

All of the lists have merit and some applicability. I'd like this question answered first; What percentage of your students fail to become certified and for what reason.

All of the lists have merit and some applicability. I'd like this question answered first; What percentage of your students fail to become certified and for what reason.

Dave, how would the answer help the prospective student?

Dave, how would the answer help the prospective student?
If the instructor passes more than 95% of his students that may insure the student will leave certified but not really qualified. If he only passes 5%, then maybe he is too tough.

I don't know . . . if the instructor is effective and willing to put in extra time, he might well certify 95% of his students, and still be maintaining reasonable standards.

I'd be more worried about the instructor who fails the majority of his students . . . but that's from my personal experience :)

Back
Top Bottom