Installing Power Inflator on my Halcyon BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Picked up a new Halcyon Power Inflator. Trying to install it on my BP/W to replace the wacky no-name that I put on there a year or so ago. For the record, the no-name has oral inflator piece on the opposite side of the inflate button... so it jams me in the palm... hate it. The Halcyon has the mouthpiece on the same side as the fill button...much more comfy to use.

Anyway - I mean, how hard can this be? I yank off the other one, shove this one onto the corrugated hose, tighten the clamp and charge it up....

Hisssssssssssssssssssssssss

HUH?

The clamp is as tight as it goes, I fill the wing, and it leaks out the end of the corrugated hose. When I pulled out my original Halcyon inflator, I remember it being glued in. I didn't glue in the no-name replacement, and its been working fine for about a year.

The no-name has a little beveled flange that doubtless assisted with preventing leakage. The Halcyon has that flange at the end of the tube, not the middle.

Do I need to glue this thing in AND put then put on the clamp? Makes sense. If so, what type of glue should I use?

Thanks

Ken

I had the same problem went Halcyon had the recall on the stainless steel inflator.
I also replace mine with a no name brand, until my LDS received the replacement inflator. When I got the new inflator I insert in the corrugated hose and it leak.
Just like you I didn't know what glue to use. So I just added a tie-wrap above the clamp and It fix the problem right away. I also like to know which glue to use in case I need to remove/replace the power inflator .

Well, if you want to really hold it together, try gorilla glue. The stuff basically holds two pieces of steel together. I do not know about removing it if you need to though. I am sure there is a disolvent for it.

Mo,
Look at the 2 inflators closely. Notice the placement of the hole through which the pin that operates the pull dump on the valve is located.

The no-name has the hole located on the hose side of the flange. The Halcyon inflator has the hole located to the inflator side.

If the hole on the Halcyon inflator is not securely covered, it will leak.

The Kraken:
Mo,
Look at the 2 inflators closely. Notice the placement of the hole through which the pin that operates the pull dump on the valve is located.

The no-name has the hole located on the hose side of the flange. The Halcyon inflator has the hole located to the inflator side.

I never noticed that.....you are absolutely right.

The Kraken:
The website gives the impression that "The Halcyon inflator is another Halcyon innovation that will only be found on Eclipse, Pioneer, and Explorer wings"

Strange that it has the hole for mounting a pull dump cable and pin.

Charlie99:
The website gives the impression that "The Halcyon inflator is another Halcyon innovation that will only be found on Eclipse, Pioneer, and Explorer wings"

Strange that it has the hole for mounting a pull dump cable and pin.

It is a little, isn't it? I think they use some sort of OEM parts occasionally in a pinch, if a suitable thing exists.

The SS buckle for the lamp battery holder sewn into my ACB weight pocket has a Scubapro logo on it... now THAT made me wonder. Absolutely nothing wrong with it functionally, though.

I had to glue mine as well or it leaks. I beleive I used DOW 732, but I'm not positive. It stopped the leak. I believe someone once mentioned to me something about one of the locktite formulas. I have no idea if that would work or which one to use. I'll bet if you call or email someone in tech services they can help you out.

Mo2vation:
Picked up a new Halcyon Power Inflator. Trying to install it on my BP/W to replace the wacky no-name that I put on there a year or so ago. For the record, the no-name has oral inflator piece on the opposite side of the inflate button... so it jams me in the palm... hate it. The Halcyon has the mouthpiece on the same side as the fill button...much more comfy to use.

Anyway - I mean, how hard can this be? I yank off the other one, shove this one onto the corrugated hose, tighten the clamp and charge it up....

Hisssssssssssssssssssssssss

HUH?

The clamp is as tight as it goes, I fill the wing, and it leaks out the end of the corrugated hose. When I pulled out my original Halcyon inflator, I remember it being glued in. I didn't glue in the no-name replacement, and its been working fine for about a year.

The no-name has a little beveled flange that doubtless assisted with preventing leakage. The Halcyon has that flange at the end of the tube, not the middle.

Do I need to glue this thing in AND put then put on the clamp? Makes sense. If so, what type of glue should I use?

Thanks

Ken

The Kraken:
Mo,

It looks like an injection input thingie. Its not a hole. A divit, yes. An impression, yes. A "see daylight" hole, no.

Thanks everyone. Did the super duper tight mega hold tie wrap (in Ken black, not Uncle Pug multi-color...) and its working fine.

---
Ken

"It looks like an injection input thingie."

. . . sprue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom