Instadry HENDERSON????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney:
The Insta Dry 3mm jumpsuit is the warmest I have ever worn. It is stretchier than Gold Core and also has glued and sewn seams that the GC 3mm does not.

The suit sheds water as claimed and is great for those cold days on open boats. I wore it recently with my Gold Core hooded vest and was warm for hours in 72 degree water. I've needed 5mm from every other manufacturer to do the same.

Chad

My LDS advised me the Instadry 3mm insulates as well as a conventional 5mm, and your experience seems to support that. Have you noticed any difference in bouyancy with the Instadry vs a conventional wetsuit?

Chad Carney:
The Insta Dry 3mm jumpsuit is the warmest I have ever worn. It is stretchier than Gold Core and also has glued and sewn seams that the GC 3mm does not.

The suit sheds water as claimed and is great for those cold days on open boats. I wore it recently with my Gold Core hooded vest and was warm for hours in 72 degree water. I've needed 5mm from every other manufacturer to do the same.

Chad

So, Chad,

Based on your experience, do you believe that the Instadry 3mm is warmer than 5mm GC?

Thanks in advance,

I was really interested in buying an insta dry until I got to the store to try it on. The thing is basically rubber. So you are paying for $450 for a piece of rubber. I also have a henderson hyperstretch 7mm and I really like it. It is not as warm as other suits but it is easy to put on and take off and fits me well. I prefer to be slightly cold to gain these conveniences when doing multiple boat dives.

The insta-dry on the other hand is very sticky. Imagine putting on a pair of rubber pants. They pulled the hair on my legs like crazy and I'm not a very hairy guy. This suit reminds me a lot of the european skin-in type suits which require you to put baby lotion/shampoo in the suit to glide it on. Sure it is probably warmer and probably dries immediately but then you have icky lotion/shampoo all over your body and need a shower.

Do NOT buy one of these suits sight unseen/online. Make sure you try it on at a store to see if you like it first.

Yeah if def rips the hair out of my legs. When I tried it on in the store the shop owner had me put on this lycra suit thing on underneath and it went on fine. It wasn't till I tried it on on the boat that it ripped my hair out. I'll prob go get one the suits and do it that way. Thats like another 50 bucks though.

I tried on the Insta-dry when the Henderson rep was at my LDS for an all-day appreciation sale. It's a rubber suit. I couldn't get it on without help. Then I got in the pool and tried it out. I couldn't get my feet on the pool floor in the 5 feet, it was quite buoyant. When I got out of the pool, I could feel a sheet of water drain down my body---eeewwww! Getting it off was no fun either. I have a Henderson hyperstretch which I like very much. I just didn't like the insta-dry at all. Several other people said the same thing.

If you can try it out in a pool before buying, do that so you can fully evaluate how it behaves in the water.

I didn't have any probs standing in mine, and was able to dive fine while snorkeling without a weight belt also.

Cowjazz & Hoosier,

My 3mm Insta Dry feels more buoyant than my 3mm Gold Core wetsuit and as I said much warmer. The Gold core was a sewn suit, not glued, and it's definitely thinner than the Ultra Dry. I wear 4 lbs with the full suit and 5/3mm hooded vest in fresh water. 6 lbs in salt water, both with an HP steel tank.

I've never had a Gold core 5mm, which have glued seams. They look as thick as any other manufacturer.

I tore a 1" to 1.5" hole in the butt of my 3mm Insta Dry getting out of my Kayak. D@Mn iT!
Caught it on a cleat getting in the water... and felt it stetch out and then tear open.

The material inside is definitely not rubber alone. You can see the torn fibers of the four way stretch middle layer. I'll take a photo before I glue it back.

I've had no problems getting into the suit, no lube required. But I don't expect a composite inner surface that is so much warmer than a laminate interior to slide on as easy as my Hyperstretch 7MM. In a thick suit I like the stretchiest material.

Chad

I have an insta-dry. It is *MUCH* warmer that the hyperstretch. It is also harder to get on and off but it works as advertised and is dry right out of the water. For traveling it is just about perfect. It seems more durable than hyperstretch as well but only a few hundred dives will tell.

As for the warmth. I have always used a beenie but with this suit I have not had to break it out even after multiple dives per day. As everyone else has said, as long as it fits it worth the premium price.

I own a pair of the Insta-Dry 3mm gloves ... and after about 20 dives or so the rubber is starting to separate at the seams. I don't expect I'll get another 20 dives out of them.

I like the performance ... but durability seems to be an issue.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom