Instadry HENDERSON????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1969ivan1

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone out there ever use the instadry by henderson suits? I saw them at a dive shope with a 400 dollar price tag! The suit seemed really cool, but I can't see that price? Are they warm? I have heard that the hyperstretches are not warm but easy to get on...What about INSTADRY?
Has anyone any idea where I can buy one for a good price?????
Thanks

400 bucks for a high quality wetsuit is not unreasonable. Unless it does not fit properly. If this is the case then it's worth squat. A 50 dollar one from ebay that fits will be better than a 400 dollar one that lets water circulate. Due to my size requirements I was prepared to go up to 700 for a full custom(7mil w/wrist and ankle zippers, etc) that would have fit me like a glove and lasted for maybe 5 yrs the way I dive. Until I found out a dry suit could be custom fitted and with proper maintenance (seals, maybe a zipper) last me 15-20 yrs for only 1700. I just bought a 5mil bare to knock around in when the drysuit is too much and the polartech not enough for 174 bucks through divetank. Don't know where you are from or what type of diving you plan to do or how much so really can't say what is right for you. My advice is go to your lds and try on a few with and with out a skin(henderson hot skin locally was 50 bucks and makes getting in and out of a suit nice and easy and is good for warm water). You may be able to find one,wetsuit that is, on line for less but then you won't be able to try it on and if it does not fit you may be SOL. I've not seen the instadry but agree it looks cool, in the magazine. If it does what it supposed to do and keeps you warm and lasts a reasonable amt of time (4-5 yrs) at 100 or so dives a year IMO it's not an unreasonable price. I expect to get 5 yrs or so out of my new bare. But that's figuring maybe 30-40 dives on it per year based on where and how I dive. If I was expecting it to do more than that then I'd go for a semicustom or if the henderson fit and wouldn't mind paying up to 400. It all comes down to fit and function. If it fits and works like it should (keeping you warm) it's worth it if that's in your budget. How fast it dries, IMO, is really a marketing gimmick to me and should have no bearing on the issue. Personally if it was me I'd go for the hyperstretch and save my money for when the instadry is not such a new fad item and comes down in price. Personally don't have the need for one.

I have not had the oppertunity to try on the new henderson, but I have been saving for it. I have a Hyperstretch and love it

I waited for 1.5 years to finally get my hands on the Insta-dry! There is an article by the famous photographer Steven Frink recently who wore the 3 mil for a week and loved it. Rodales Scuba dive mag I think. I tried on the 3 mil size 4 and the 6, and also the 6 in the 5 mil. Practically vacuums itself to your skin! Yes you will definitly stay warm if it fits you properly. It also fights bacterial growth so won't stink, requires less wieght, and comes in the coolest package ever for storage and transport. Has a nice backpad, too. Unfortunatley niether size fit me and I am sooo disappointed, but am ordering the instadry booties anyway. Bought the 7/5 mil hyperstretch instead.

I dive dry but I bought the 3 mil insta dry gloves and in 43 F water my hands are toasty and they have good mobilty and feel. If the gloves are that good then I know the suit would be. A little bit of a PITA to put on but not terrible for the comfort.
Dive Safe, Dive Oten,
Butch :scubadive

1969ivan1:
Anyone out there ever use the instadry by henderson suits? I saw them at a dive shope with a 400 dollar price tag! The suit seemed really cool, but I can't see that price? Are they warm? I have heard that the hyperstretches are not warm but easy to get on...What about INSTADRY?
Has anyone any idea where I can buy one for a good price?????
Thanks

While I don't think that's totally outrageous for a good fitting suit that'll keep you warm (I dive cold water in New England, but have recently gone dry :)), I'd doublecheck to make sure that Henderson's QA/QC has gone up in the recent past before I paid that kind of money.

My experiences with the Henderson products that I've purchased have been spotty...while I LOVE the fact that my Hyperstretch 3mm is incredibly easy to get into and as comfy as jammies to dive in, one of the seams recently came completely unsewn...apparently there was no glue holding it together in addition to the stitching. It's no longer under warranty as it's two years old, but the suit has less than 50 dives on it, as I rarely wear it. I can't say as I'm terribly please with that kind of quality - I'd expect more for the price I paid.

Similarly, I purchased a pair of Henderson Gold Core gloves to wear up here, paying a premium price - as I'd heard they were warmer than my old Seaquest 5mm gloves. Not only did they not prove to be quite as warm (although admittedly they're much more flexible), the stitching has *also* come out of several points on several of the fingers on THOSE!!! I've got holes along the seams of at least 2 fingers on each hand - and that's after one year of wearing them. Granted I dive a fair amount (about 50-70 dives a year), but I'm not touching the bottom, or lobstering, or wreck diving or doing anything that should stress out these gloves...there's no reason that the stitching should've ripped out except for poor quality.

I can't say that I'm terribly impressed with that - and frankly, I've heard a number of other stories about other folks with issues along those lines as well. However, to be fair, Henderson may have addressed those concerns with this suit. I'd probably contact their customer service department (especially if this is a suit that's not going to get constant wear, since there's a possibility that, like mine, the seams could go *after* it's out of warranty, but when there are still relatively few dives on it), and ask them how their sealed...whether their glued *and* stitched or just stitched....

Of course, YMMV...

outlaws:
I dive dry but I bought the 3 mil insta dry gloves and in 43 F water my hands are toasty and they have good mobilty and feel. If the gloves are that good then I know the suit would be. A little bit of a PITA to put on but not terrible for the comfort.
Dive Safe, Dive Oten,
Butch :scubadive
Good feedback ... I was thinking to purchase a pair of the 3 mm insta dry gloves for winter diving (I hate the cumbersome 5 mm neoprene gloves) ... water temps here in winter typically get down into the low 40's.

Just curious ... what's the PITA about putting them on?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

it sure looks sleek. however, as stated above, fit is key. if the instadry fits you then i assume the gold core would fit, too, since it is also from henderson. the smooth interior lining is probably the same as the instadry (except for the color) which means it seals as well and it is also anti-bacterial i.e. no stink. the difference then comes down to the exterior of the suit and the $$$. no doubt the exterior of the instadry dries quicker which is a plus if you keep your wetsuit on during surface intervals. your call if that is worth the extra bucks to you.
as far as quality, i also have had issues with seams coming apart after a couple of dives with a hooded gold core vest from henderson. annoying, especially for a premium priced product. on the other hand, they did a great job fixing it free of charge.

Yep same experience here, bought the fiancee a Hyperstretch 7/5 mm and its got a total of 5 dives on it and the thread is coming out on the seam on her leg. Its not a Hole yet, but not very impressed with the quality. I have a Bare suit which was 1/3 to 1/2 less and have no problems with quality yet

NWGratefulDiver:
Good feedback ... I was thinking to purchase a pair of the 3 mm insta dry gloves for winter diving (I hate the cumbersome 5 mm neoprene gloves) ... water temps here in winter typically get down into the low 40's.

Just curious ... what's the PITA about putting them on?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,
They feel real "sticky" because the water just rolls off them so it doesn't give any real lubricant. I generally open them up to get water inside them so my hand glides in but as soon as they are on there is no water inside. I think out of all the gloves I have bought these (so far) seem to be the best. I let a few divers try them on this last weekend and they bought all the LDS had on hand. My hands were warmer than one of the guys and he was wearing 5mil.
Dive Safe, Dive Often,
Butch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom