Inside or out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a 3mil wetsuit that I normally use but there are times when I want just a little more without the bulk of a thicker wetsuit. I have a skin that will fit either inside or outside of the 3mil and was wondering which placement would retain my body heat the best? Please, no conjectures or guesses but some input from those that have tried this scenario would be greatly appreciated. This configuration would be used in conjunction with my 2 mil hooded vest.

Good question. What water temps are you looking at?

Probably no one (but you) can answer this the way you want it to be answered ie "no conjectures or guesses" but (here you go) I would THINK your skin would fit pretty 'loose', alone by itself, if it fits over "a 3 mil wetsuit & a 2 mil hooded vest" ....If the before is correct, I'd wear it over everything------also, I doubt it would make much of a difference which way you wore it for total warmth.....BTW, that's the way I dive--always--ie a skin UNDER either a wetsuit alone with an optional EVO 2 mm hooded vest....If I were you, I'd give it a test---wear it each way & you decide without any "conjectures or guesses", I mean you're only looking @ 1 cool dive to make a final decision....

Knowone here.

A skin that is loose is not a skin.

A wetsuit already has a skin, your skin does not.

A skin under a wetsuit restricts the transference of brrr water.

And the skin will fit over the wetsuit if the wetsuit is uglier than the skin.

I have used two wetsuits. It's definitely warmer than one. My rule is to put the tightest fitting one inside.
I use hooded vests routinely with a wetsuit and always put them inside.
But as diver85 said, try it. Your body type and wetsuit fit may vary.

A second wetsuit or a vest will add warmth. A skin (rashguard) will most likely NOT add warmth, but rather it will defeat the thermal layer from the wetsuit, and probably make you colder.

Back
Top Bottom