insane suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
I don't have the tables handy, but oil (and almost any other liquid I'm aware of) conducts heat much better than air, and would be a bad choice for insulation.

Terry

Ok, this one makes the best sense.
Dumb question - but hey, doesnt hurt to ask right?
Thanks.

FFMDiver:
Would it be too far fetched to fill a dry suit with a dense liquid such as vegetable oil?
The liquid would act as a thermal barrier, compress less than air and have no boyancy issues. Someone please tell me why this is "oil suit" is an insane idea? Thank you.

They do make suits like this, only they use water not oil. The the warm water is pumped down to the diver where it cirulates through the suit and them is exausted. Comercail divers will work an entire shifts in deep cold water. Of cource they are tethered to the surface by the warm water hose but thier surface supplied air keeps them tethered as well

I've seen electric heaters that go inside a suit too. These are powered by large
recharable batteries, the same as with canister lights.

Wouldn't an oil-filled drysuit be kinda heavy to walk in?

slippery at least... :wink:

could be fun depending on your dive buddy. . .

One slight, but otherwise noteworthy issue - the oil would constantly settle to the lowest point of gravity. How would you go about making sure that it didn't migrate to other areas due to the pull of gravity.

If you were diving in a horizontal position, all of the oil would be in your chest, belly, front of legs area. When you stood up to get out of the water it would all pool up in your boots and legs.

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down . . .

the K

Not true at all.

Oil is *less* dense than water. It would have a tendency to float *up* in the suit, thus 'pooling' behind the back and at the feet when prone.

Of course, oil is much closer to the density of water than air, so it would have significantly less tendency to 'float' away behind you than air.

Bottom line is that it would be an enormous mess, be colder than a drysuit, require ridiculous amounts of $$ for the oil, be extraordinarily heavy on the surface, and be an environmental disaster. The only advantage is that you wouldn't need to tap your drysuit inflator as you descend.

FFMDiver:
But oil in a container would sink wouldnt it??

Depends on the geometry/composition of the container and the weight of the oil.

A full oil can will sink in water. A fully loaded oil tanker will not :wink:

What about adding a little vineger and some veggies to the oil.

I am sure the captain and the rest of the people on your boat would not be please when you took the suit off on the deck. Doubt anybody would want to be near you afterwards either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom