Inquiry on Backplate and Wing for Warm Water Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vortex777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek expertise in selecting the most suitable backplate and wing system for my specific diving needs.

I will primarily be conducting warm water dives, utilizing a maximum 5mm suit and mostly AL tanks. Given that I dive with my two children, I require additional lift capacity and the ability to easily ditch weights as needed. Ideally, I would only need approximately 8lbs of weight with the 5mm suit, thus favoring the smallest weight pockets available.

Moreover, I have some existing shoulder and back issues, making the option to unclip the shoulder harness a valuable feature for me. In terms of preferences, I do appreciate shoulder dump valves for added convenience during my dives.

Considering my requirements, I have been contemplating the following options:

- Hollis ST 22 Elite

- Dive Rite Transplate (along with suitable wing recommendation) as an alternative, is the TransPac comfortable?

- OMS Comfort Harness III (for which I would also need a compatible wing suggestion)

- Xdeep Zeos.

However I am unsure if the lift provided by these options would be adequate for my needs.

Could you please share your insights and experiences regarding the above-mentioned backplate and wing systems? Any recommendations or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and guidance in this matter.

Given that I dive with my two children, I require additional lift capacity and the ability to easily ditch weights as needed.
Can you explain the reasoning behind needing extra lift?

I have the Zeos 28 with ss backplate. I got the deluxe harness because I also have shoulder issues. I didn't use the clips once in about 70 dives, so replaced the harness with standard webbing and ditched the shoulder pads. It's actually easier to get into the harness now without the extra hardware and the padding. Kept the padding on the backplate.

I can get an adult with an empty wing up from 10m without needing to drop any weights using only my wing to control the ascent. The only time the wing has more than a hoot of air in it is from the 30+m mark, and you're not taking kids down there.

i would just stick with a simple harness and get an adjustment slider, that means you can just pull one shoulder loose to get in and out of the harness easier. oms 32lb with standard plate and harness and then add two harness weight pockets. or see if you have any regional brands like dolphin tech/IST/aquatec from taiwan that might be bargain priced.

@vortex777
1. I would suggest a good quality 3mm full suit + vest + hood. Hire a shortie in the resort if necessary. 5mm in the summer is too much even for a warm water diver like myself.
2. Thread the harness correctly in the BP/W system and the shoulder quick release is unnecessary.
3. Weight pocket to thread in the CAM band.

This is the wing that I am using in SE Asia. Aluminium plate, DIY crotch strap, simple harness and no weight pocket as I prefer weight belt.

Can you explain the reasoning behind needing extra lift?
From my experience with inexperienced divers it does help to have some extra lift in case of unforeseen issues. I have been dragged both ways (up and down) by several divers over the years.

@vortex777
1. I would suggest a good quality 3mm full suit + vest + hood. Hire a shortie in the resort if necessary. 5mm in the summer is too much even for a warm water diver like myself.
2. Thread the harness correctly in the BP/W system and the shoulder quick release is unnecessary.
3. Weight pocket to thread in the CAM band.

This is the wing that I am using in SE Asia. Aluminium plate, DIY crotch strap, simple harness and no weight pocket as I prefer weight belt.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding wetsuit, 5mm would be for “winter dives” in Red Sea and other remote locations if I’d visit again (Cocos, Galapagos). Around here (Asia) I mostly dive in skinsuit only.

Back
Top Bottom