Innovative Spring Straps???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
Have you installed spring straps onto your fins? I did for my XL jets. went to a shop, put my foot/boot into the fin and tried several different sizes. I chose the 10" (spring length) which I was told fit best, but later it felt too tight so I stretched it out. In hindsight I would have chosen 11" or 12" springs. Maybe my experience was the exception.

I have 2 pairs of fins and both have spring straps. Not sure the legnth anymore but they are both different legnths because my foot fits in the pocket differently depending upon which boots/socks I am wearing. They easily switch back and forth on the fins depending on what I am wearing. Takes about 15 seconds to switch them on/off per fin if I have been drinking. :D

Yes, I do realize for you ScubaPro people this is a little different but for anyone with a standard head on their fins its no problem.

I bought the EZ straps when I was in Florida. I actually had to buy two sizes because of different boots. But they work very well, the one thing you have to be careful of is that they fit your fins correctly. They have two attachment methods, one is a plastic snap similar to a normal fin strap, the other is a couple of pins that fit into the holes on some models of fins. Switching between the sizes is the work of a few seconds.

The problem is that the posts on fins isn't standard, they varry all over the place. On my IST fins, the posts are actually just a tad small, and occassionally I'll get one to slip off if I pull on it wrong. My wife's Mares Bolos can't be used at all unless I modify the posts or the hook, the posts are two big to fit.

Oh, one advantage of the EZ straps is that you can kick the strap loose. For me I have some restrictions in how much I can move my leg and its sometimes easier to kick the strap off, and then just tug the fin off. Of course only done in shore diving.

A few of us have them and love them. For the most part we were too lazy to make our own more than anything. The ability to have different sizes was also nice to accomidate for different dive boots.

Back
Top Bottom