Innovative Spring Straps???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree in general, I like it simple. On my fins I have no problem without any aids. My wife had to have something as she has had surgery for carpal tunnel in the past & has reduced strength in her hands, & recently I made a set for a lady with some major arthritis problems. Whether she has to have something, I dunno, but she felt she did. So this is what I came up with.

It's the same knot used for tying speargun bands, I don't think they'll come loose. It's nothing more than some braided line, so it's dirt cheap & easy to make or replace. I don't think that small loop will pose an entanglement hazard for most rec divers, though if you're penetrating wrecks I'm not so sure.

My question is ....why don't fin manufacturers just make this standard on their fins?? So much better, easier and longer lasting. Cost has to be almost insignificant between regular straps and these (if springs aren't actually cheaper). I wouldn't have a pair without them now that I have tried them.

In more than 3500 dives with all kinds of fins, I've had two fin straps break. Unless you're cave diving with certain people, your fin strap choice doesn't matter...

tjmills:
My question is ....why don't fin manufacturers just make this standard on their fins?? So much better, easier and longer lasting. Cost has to be almost insignificant between regular straps and these (if springs aren't actually cheaper). I wouldn't have a pair without them now that I have tried them.

Some provide that option, but I don't think it would be a good idea to make them standard because then you would need many different versions of each fin. For example, you'd need XL jetfins with 10" staps, XL jetfins with 11" straps and XL jetfins with 12" straps. Some might even want 9" or 13". It's easier just to add them in later.

daniel f aleman:
In more than 3500 dives with all kinds of fins, I've had two fin straps break. Unless you're cave diving with certain people, your fin strap choice doesn't matter...
Ever used the springs?

Rick Inman:
Ever used the springs?

Sure, when cave diving; but even then, probably only half the time. I don't use Jets or Rockets in open water, there are much better fins designs for that, all with with standard straps.

Rick Inman:
I donno, maybe it's just me, but the thing I find so great about spring straps is their simplicity - just a spring in a tube. So why do people keep trying to add stuff to make them back into regular straps? I have absolutely no problem donning the straight-forward, no frills version with thick cold-water dry gloves. For me (YMMV!) the strings and pulls and flaps and junk just destroy the perfectly basic concept that makes these things so great in the first place.

MINE

Before you know it they'll be attaching a safe second and a spare air to the things...
I agree, simple is usually better. I have the Halcyon straps on my Jets for wetsuit booties. My wetsuit booties have a nice thick covering of rubber over the thick neoprene, this provides for nice padding for where the strap contacts the back of my foot. I have skinny ankles so there is very little natural padding, even with the padding provided by the wet suit booties I still sometimes have bruising and the occasional open sore.

I made the choice to use the Innovative straps because they had the larger contact area against my heel, the little grab loop was not a factor in my choice, heck I have been tempted to cut the little loop off, but it makes things slightly easier with thick gloves on, so I have kept it.

Mark Vlahos

daniel f aleman:

To me this is not about fin straps breaking. Its about comfort and ease of use. They don't look comfortable and easy to use by looking at them but you find out they are much more comfortable and much easier to put on and take off. Try them....you won't go back.

*Floater*:
Some provide that option, but I don't think it would be a good idea to make them standard because then you would need many different versions of each fin. For example, you'd need XL jetfins with 10" staps, XL jetfins with 11" straps and XL jetfins with 12" straps. Some might even want 9" or 13". It's easier just to add them in later.

I think you will find that the straps are pretty much covered in 2...maybe 3 sizes for all of the fin sizes. I could be wrong as I have not done this exactly but its all about the pin to pin legnth around your foot and they are pretty much standard for S, M, L and XL. Check out the companies that make these and you will see only 2-3 sizes max.

tjmills:
I think you will find that the straps are pretty much covered in 2...maybe 3 sizes for all of the fin sizes. I could be wrong as I have not done this exactly but its all about the pin to pin legnth around your foot and they are pretty much standard for S, M, L and XL. Check out the companies that make these and you will see only 2-3 sizes max.

Have you installed spring straps onto your fins? I did for my XL jets. went to a shop, put my foot/boot into the fin and tried several different sizes. I chose the 10" (spring length) which I was told fit best, but later it felt too tight so I stretched it out. In hindsight I would have chosen 11" or 12" springs. Maybe my experience was the exception.

Back
Top Bottom