Innovation In Recreational Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bringing my phone with me on a dive? I'd call that DE-evolutionary.....
Why?
FYI, just in the past 12 months more underwater housings for smartphones (and I mean the ones with recreational depth rating. Not the ones rated at 6 ft) have been shipped than many other scuba diving items.

Additionally, scientific divers are extremely excited by the possibility to use tablets underwater as those could radically change how they conduct their surveys.

In general, I am convinced that smartphones are going to change ALSO our diving "routines". We see that happening already.

Here are a few minor historical corrections:

…
INTRODUCTION: Demand regulator/tank scuba unit
USE CASE: Breathing underwater
PRIOR SOLUTION: [-]Surface supplied air[/-] Yves le Prieur manually operated open circuit SCUBA. Credited by Cousteau as the ancestor to the Aqualung in his book, The Silent World

INTRODUCTION: Wetsuit
USE CASE: Exposure protection
PRIOR SOLUTION: [-]none[/-] Drysuits without waterproof zippers. The Cousteau Constant Volume Suit and Aquala vulcanized drysuits were available in the late 1940s and were used in cold water by the early pioneers. See: From the archives: Back in the 50s ? Nitrox and Rebreathers, so what?s new? | DIVER magazine

INTRODUCTION: SPG
USE CASE: Determining gas supply
PRIOR SOLUTION: J-valve Edit: or just wait until it got hard to breathe. The majority of valves sold were non-reserve K-valves. You could get away with it because regulators breathed much harder at low supply pressures and gave you plenty of warning… and ascent rates were 60'/minute.

INTRODUCTION
: Broad commercial agencies with reach through shops/resort
USE CASE: Training and certification
PRIOR SOLUTION: Clubs and universities EDIT: and dive shops that developed their own curriculum. That was still true when I got my first card in 1962 in the Bay Area.

INTRODUCTION[/B]: Octo/alt reg
USE CASE: Primary failure or otherwise not available
PRIOR SOLUTION: [-]None[/-] Buddy Breathing and free ascents

INTRODUCTION
: Low pressure power inflator
USE CASE: BCD inflation
PRIOR SOLUTION: Mouthpiece [-]only[/-] and tiny dedicated HP bottle mounted on the horse collar, see Bouée Fenzy. Surface inflation on Mae Wests were oral and CO2 cartridges before that, which could not be orally inflated at depth because there was no OPV (Over Pressure Valve)…

As you look closer and closer you can see that “innovations” in diving are very dependent on enabling technology in material science, electronics, and manufacturing. The quality and affordability of products like regulators is greatly influenced by 5-axis CNC machining and 3D solids computer modeling and analysis. The next big jump will probably be regulators designed for robotic assembly, which is dependent on advances in robotic technology.

Another future technology that can be “borrowed” is full-body scanning. I hope to see a time when off-the-shelf suits are a bad memory. Of course the volume market is clothing, but I hope that dive industry will be an early adopter since dive suits are fit-critical and relatively expensive. Fun topic.

Reactions: RJP
Why?
FYI, just in the past 12 months more underwater housings for smartphones (and I mean the ones with recreational depth rating. Not the ones rated at 6 ft) have been shipped than many other scuba diving items.

Additionally, scientific divers are extremely excited by the possibility to use tablets underwater as those could radically change how they conduct their surveys.

In general, I am convinced that smartphones are going to change ALSO our diving "routines". We see that happening already.

Seeing as I use my phone to calculate my mix, blend the gas, plan the dive, and text my wife to tell her I'm in (and then out) of the water... I'm certain I'll inadvertently take it with me on a dive at some point.

---------- Post added November 25th, 2014 at 07:35 PM ----------

Here are a few minor historical corrections:

Thanks!

I might PM you the final wording on some of your edits, as I'll need to boil the information down to just a handful of words. For instance on the "prior solution" for wetsuit I might put "rudimentary dry suits" etc.

…Additionally, scientific divers are extremely excited by the possibility to use tablets underwater as those could radically change how they conduct their surveys...

This may be one of those unintended applications. I can see using them to pass time during long and terminally boring decompression stops by using E-books and games. Of course you will then need to clip-off since nobody will be paying enough attention to maintaining depth. :wink:

We have enough folks killing themselves texting while driving. I can just see the increase in OOA and out of NDL because folks are texting and using their iphones rather than paying attention.

We have enough folks killing themselves texting while driving. I can just see the increase in OOA and out of NDL because folks are texting and using their iphones rather than paying attention.

Well, if it were truly innovative it would feature a bluetooth or ANT+ connection to your computer or wireless-enabled SPG and provide pop-up messages on your phone screen.

Even if I could take a phone underwater I don't think I would, I have to draw the line somewhere. I dive to get away from all that stuff.
I could just see someone staring at the screen on their smartphone as they smack into that urchin sitting on a rock with their forehead.

It violates your definition but in my eyes the biggest innovations in the last decade, my time as a diver have been in exposure protection.

• The Whites fusion broke a lot of paradigms and is enjoyed by many
  • Cold water suits in general including the semi dry flavors have come along way and are more widely available.
  • Heated vests and undergarments to augment body heat will be game changers for many.

Pete

On a somewhat related note, a FFM with wireless comm. unit offers the capability to converse underwater. And yet, for whatever reason, this advance has not caught on in a major way & transformed recreational diving. Cost, added care for the comm. unit, fact it hasn't already hit a critical mass in terms of market penetration, whatever the reason, there is a means whereby people can talk underwater...yet very few do.

Richard.

Well, if it were truly innovative it would feature a bluetooth or ANT+ connection to your computer or wireless-enabled SPG and provide pop-up messages on your phone screen.

And your phone would have apps/auto feeds to the following:

auto text your wife you just went OOA
auto text your certifying agency instructors
auto text your insurance agent (and DAN)
auto film and transmit Youtube video of the incident to all your e-mail contact list.

---------- Post added November 25th, 2014 at 11:05 PM ----------

Even if I could take a phone underwater I don't think I would, I have to draw the line somewhere. I dive to get away from all that stuff.
I could just see someone staring at the screen on their smartphone as they smack into that urchin sitting on a rock with their forehead.

well, today tons of people already walk around the streets, staring at their phones, and falling into open manhole covers and other assorted street pitfalls!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom