Injured Diver - Pensacola 4/9/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These were recreational divers on a private boat. Doesn't sound like O2 would have made a difference, but you can bet the Coasties had a bottle on their boat....

Which leads me to another lesson from this incident: you can't rely on rescue personnel to do jack. You have to tow your own line.

The Coast Guard DOES NOT carry O2 on their boats- at least in the Pensacola/Mobile area. That came straight from the CO during a meeting a few years back. If you transfer a "patient" to a coast guard boat and want to send your O2 with them, you must also send your own certified provider.

:shocked2:

The Coast Guard DOES NOT carry O2 on their boats- at least in the Pensacola/Mobile area. That came straight from the CO during a meeting a few years back. If you transfer a "patient" to a coast guard boat and want to send your O2 with them, you must also send your own certified provider.

Nice! Thanks for filling us in on this.

How does a computer do much about that? If a buddy tapping you on the shoulder doesn't get you to go up...what can the computer do?

Clearly some sort of cattle prod attachment is required... perhaps accompanied by the display flashing "YOU'RE GUNNA DIE!!!"

I wonder if we will soon see the day when, in addition to Octo and a "timing device" (watch or computer), dive charters will begin to require a redundant air supply (pony, 'Spare Air', etc.). That may have saved this situation.

Although, the downside is divers knowing they have that additional supply of air and they will burn through it also and this situation will be repeated.

Personally, I always carry "Spare Air". For my peace of mind as well as if needed by another diver.

Last edited:
The NJ charters all require a pony or doubles in order to dive off their boats.

Not bad idea at all. Sure, one more thing to deal with but if you ever have to deploy it you'll be very glad you have it. Thankfully, I've never had to use mine....but it's ready and goes on ALL dives with me...regardless of depth or planned duration.

I kind of thought as much when reading about the lack of O2 onboard. Terrible situation but seems like everyone responded the best they could.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom