Injured Diver - Pensacola 4/9/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what a shame and a small point. the idea that once shallow you will have enough air to breath again is not very accurate. the internal pressure in your tank will NOT change with depth, the reduced ambient pressure may allow your regulator first stage to give maybe one more breath IF you are very lucky. Some regs will work well below their designed IP, others not so much.

Wow! So many things that were wrong during and after the dive.

Thanks to the buddy for the posts on what happened, it makes it possible for the rest of us to learn or reiterate what we already know - rather than speculation.

Know your rock bottom pressures, plan your dive, and dive your plan.

Thanks for sharing. His family and friends are in my prayers.

I am very sorry to this person's family and friends for their loss.

No O2 on the boat??? Running the engine so hard it stopped???

Hopefully this wasn't a professional dive operation???

It is very sad that another diver died, I am very sad for the loss. Had an O2 kit been in place, perhaps there would have been a better chance of survival...

Was the deceased nitrox certified?
What is the MOD on 36%......

Was the deceased nitrox certified?
What is the MOD on 36%......

((1.4/.36)-1)*33 = 95.33 feet

conservatively, @ 1.4 max PO2, 95.33 feet
liberally, @ 1.6 max PO2, 113.66 feet

It is unlikely that this was an Oxygen Toxicity issue. Ox-tox usually results in the following symptoms - VENTID - vision, ears, nausea, twitching, irritability, dizziness... blackout due to high partial pressure of O2 is also possible, though none of these appear to have been a factor in this incident...

Judging from the signs that the dive buddy posted, it would appear that, if it was truly dive related (meaning not a heart attack or similar), that it was either due to a breath hold ascent, or decompression sickness...

I find this terrible sad. How can there be any divers out there in this area not diving with a computer, and without a buddy? Partcularly one that seemed to have gas management issues.

Only dives I make that are not called by the no deco limits, are those made on the Miss Louse. At least that I have seen, running out of gas would also mean running out of bottom time and carrying a good deco obligation.

I don't understand how there can be people who find others to dive with that act that way...Yes we are all responsible for our own actions, but the results of this can end up involving others.

My heart felt thanks go out to the guys who did their best in very difficult conditions...You guys are major big league heroes in my book..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom