Injured Bottom of Both Feet - Certification Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take the booties and fins to a pool and swim laps for 45 minutes per day, the pain will spread to your calves and thighs and in about 5 days will go away. You are using muscles and tendons in a totally new way and it’s takes time for you to get used to it.

My guess is the ladder on the boat. Were they flat rungs, or round ones? If round, with soft booties like you have, I know my feet would hurt! So hard-soled booties are the answer....which may require larger fin pockets, hence different fins. All the suggested pool swimming is possibly irrelevant to your particular pain.

My guess is the ladder on the boat. Were they flat rungs, or round ones? If round, with soft booties like you have, I know my feet would hurt! So hard-soled booties are the answer....which may require larger fin pockets, hence different fins. All the suggested pool swimming is possibly irrelevant to your particular pain.
Yeah that’s my leading theory as well.

I’m having a hard time remembering, but I believe they were flat. They were definitely on the narrow side.

Appreciate your perspective here.

Yeah that’s my leading theory as well.

I’m having a hard time remembering, but I believe they were flat. They were definitely on the narrow side.

Appreciate your perspective here.
Don't forget the boat is going up and down, which increases the pressure on your feet, and you have maybe 50-60lb extra on you.

Don't forget the boat is going up and down, which increases the pressure on your feet, and you have maybe 50-60lb extra on you.
Yep good point. Seems like booties with a more solid bottom is an avenue I should explore. Have any recommendations in addition to what was shared in the earlier comments?

Yep good point. Seems like booties with a more solid bottom is an avenue I should explore. Have any recommendations in addition to what was shared in the earlier comments?
I have the TUSAs mentioned earlier, but in the ankle-high version for warmer water.
Just search for hard-soled dive booties; there are lots.

There's a dive boat in Canada that has an elevator platform on the back. It seems like it would be really nice if dive boats here had that.

There's a dive boat in Canada that has an elevator platform on the back. It seems like it would be really nice if dive boats here had that.
There are at least 3 dive operators on Vancouver Island with elevators. It's very nice for divers and speeds up retrieval for the dive boat as well. Pretty useful for the dynamic water conditions up there.

immense amount of pain in the balls of both of my feet. Incredibly tender, sore, swollen, very difficult to walk. I have since developed lots of bruising, on both feet.
Quoting one smart podiatrist:

Divers should be wary of a condition known as fin foot, causing swollen and tender feet after diving, often exacerbated in cold or rough waters. The discomfort of fin foot stems from reduced blood flow to the feet, due to factors like improper fin techniques or ill-fitting gear. Symptoms of fin foot can include swelling, redness, bruising to the toes, and pain while walking. Experts suggest that a diver experiencing these symptoms immediately cease diving, elevate their feet, and apply a warm compress for relief. Symptoms that persist beyond 48 hours warrant consultation with a podiatrist. Collaborating with a podiatrist ensures proper gear fit, including booties and fin straps. Adjustments, such as using larger booties or spring straps, can reduce the risk of recurrence. While edema in fin foot does not necessarily signify decompression sickness, divers are wise to remain vigilant to its effects. If you are experiencing post-dive foot problems, it is suggested that you schedule an appointment with a podiatrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom