Info on St. Eustatius or Statia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ho! Ho! Ho! Avatar photo taken on Statia. Great dive operation. Very laid back, but safe and responsible. Totally diver driven. Where you want to go, you go based on the consensus of the divers on the boat that trip.

Have been going to Statia since 1998 and have always been pampered by Glenn , Michelle and 'Naldo. You can get extra points if you bring pigs ears to Duncan, a purebred Statian cocunut retriever that looks very much like a chocolate labrador.

I agree with Glenn on starting on Statia. I did Saba and Statia in October, a week on each. There were plenty of dive sites i did not get to on Statia so even a week isn't really enough time to take in all of the dive sites. Due to scheduling issues on Saba we ended up diving there first which was fine for my group as we all dive regularly. The variety of sea life and the size of the animals is pretty impressive. Like I've said on an earlier post Statia is how the Caribbean use to be. Glenn and his wife run a nice little operation that makes you feel like your really discovering someplace new. Hard to get that in most other places in the Caribbean.

I'm always looking for the islands that are less traveled. Maybe Statia should be next on my list. I wonder how I would get there from Philadelphia. I'll have to do some research for maybe next year :)

you get there via st martin on winair to statia. I'm going on friday. can'tt wait!

Take a gander earlier in the thread. I think I talked a fair amount about the trip. To add to the discussion though the island is super laid back. We stayed at the Old Gin House which is run by a young dutch couple and really work hard to provide you whatever you need. The rooms were great, very large, good AC and nicely furnished. Breakfast was included and they have a nice open air bar overlooking the water (breakfast is served here too). The island doesn't offer tourist stuff but if you are up to poking around an old cemetery to find an authentic pirate grave that was cool. Good hiking and limited shopping, just a few trinkets to bring home. Interesting places to eat but you need to work with the hotel or Glenn at Golden Rock for suggestions because they are a bit hard to find and the schedules are not always regular. Again, the diving was really super. Tons of super sized lobsters on every dive and all the typical stuff but it was just bigger! Seen the biggest nurse shark I've ever seen. On one dive I must have counted 20 sting rays. So I would highly recommend it as long as your idea of the Caribbean isn't 7 mile beach.:no:

Hi there, we are planning to go next summer to Statia for a week with Glen and the crew and then to Bonaire for a week. Having some trouble organizing our flights. It looks like there is a 4-hour layover in St. martin to get to Statia and then another such layover in St. Martin to get to Bonaire.

Does anyone know of better alternatives than these?

Thanks,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom