Info on St. Eustatius or Statia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Golden Rock Divers

Registered
Reaction score
Hello from St. Eustatius (Statia),
It has been brought to my attention that there is limited information on St. Eustatius or as we call it Statia so I am going to try and improve that. I will provide some general info now and continue to monitor this site for questions you may have in the future. First let me introduce myself my name is Glenn Faires, I have along with my wife Michele been living on Statia since 1995 and we started Golden Rock Dive Center. After working and living on several islands from Bahamas, Cozumel, and St. Maarten we were interested in getting in to the dive travel business and had been looking for the right island for several years when we first visited Statia. By the end of the first day on Statia we know this was the place we had been looking for, a true diamond in the rough, old Caribbean charm, no mass tourism history, hiking, with more diversity of marine life than we could find anywhere in the region. Little did we know at the time but the water of Statia held more natural treasure than we ever expected in fact only after several years in business and listening to our guest did it become clear to us what we had stumbled on. What has now become known for the most diverse diving in the Caribbean with 8 distinct ecosystems all with different structure and life to enjoy. These different sites include Wall dives, Coral encrusted lava flows, Patch reef, Macro dives, Penetration ship wrecks, Historical wrecks, Isolated outcroppings, and Boulder slides. With a small population of residents and less than 100 hotel rooms there is little fishing pressure or pollution so the marine life thrives here with healthy populations you will have a complete ecosystem from the very small to the largest reef predators. Some points about the island that are challenging are the limited dining experiences, normal to a small island and the additional inter island flight from SXM to Statia. However these are minimal when compared to the quality of diving and the peacefully laidback atmosphere you will enjoy during your holiday. Please keep in mind that the info I provide is biased as I want you to come for a visit but also keep in mind I will be here diving with you so I can’t afford to be misleading. I hope to receive questions from you with regards to any aspect of Statia and especially the diving and U/W photography opportunities is one of my passions. Please have a look at our web site goldenrockdive.com

I loved diving there... so many "Lobzillas" on the reef!

I was sad to hear that Mr Daniels passed away. That was probably the best island tour I have ever been on.

Beautiful diving, great people: Statia is in my "!0 best dives" list.

mr glen faires,
welcome to this board.
thank you for the invitation to your island.
recently i spent a week on the carribean explorer II.
we dove saba and st kitts.

do you know why they do not take divers to statia?
i would think after diving st martin and st kitts, they would take us to a nearby island where the diving is better.

maybe politics plays a roll in this.
i would go on this liveaboard again if they took us to statia.
regards,

mr glen faires,
welcome to this board.
thank you for the invitation to your island.
recently i spent a week on the carribean explorer II.
we dove saba and st kitts.

do you know why they do not take divers to statia?
i would think after diving st martin and st kitts, they would take us to a nearby island where the diving is better.

maybe politics plays a roll in this.
i would go on this liveaboard again if they took us to statia.
regards,

Hello Smokey,
Thanks for your question, however I am not involved with the scheduling of other dive operators nor am I involved with politics. I do run my own dive center here and have an opinion on this. Statia is a small destination with little public awareness and I feel it’s important that every guest who visits and dives the island leave with the best opinion possible. In order for this to be achieved they must as much as possible see the best Statia has to offer, with the diversity of our island this can only done with local guides who know how to showcase these special points. If the quality and diversity of diving is a priority to you, than you owe it to yourself to visit Statia!

Fun fact: Statia was the very first country to recognize and salute the United States as a sovereign Nation. The US battle ship, Andrew Doria, gave a thirteen gun salute when they entered Statia's harbor and they returned the favor. Statia supported the US so much during the revolutionary war that England invaded her out of spite after they were defeated.

:crafty:Glenn, nice post. I told you when I left last week I would work to get the word out. If you have access to Undercurrent check out my trip report there. I butchered yours and Michele's name, sorry about that. For those who have not been to Statia, or do not have access to Undercurrent (shame on you) here is my impression of the island. If you have been around long enough to remember Sea Hunt, Flipper and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea you may have been diving when diving was really an adventure. Diving on Statia can make you feel like you are Capt. Don anchoring off an unknown island and discovering what is under the water for the first time. Every dive has tons of lobsters, rays, and large, un-pressured reef fish. Sharks were not uncommon too. The corals are in great shape. Glenn's boat "EZ Livin" is a perfect dive platform for this island. Very short trips to the many dive sites, in a week we didn't scratch the surface of all the sites. The island is really what the Caribbean was like 25 years ago. For those Parrot Heads out there this is the type of island life Jimmy Buffet sings about. Golden Rock was like a throw back to when diving was a real adventure sport, nothing fancy but a great atmosphere. Where else can you get a local to grill up a great beach BBQ of lobster and fish? If your the type of diver who likes 5 star meals served with a white napkin then don't bother. But, if you are a diver who wants to experience what Grand Cayman and Coz use to be like spend a few days on Statia. You will not be sorry.

Why settle for one article? Do a search on ScubaBoard for "Statia" or "Golden Rock Dive Center" and you will be rewarded with a number of reports from ScubaBoard users about how great Statia is. That's the wonder of this place.

No worries about how you spelled our names! You captured the island and diving right on, and that what we want is guests who know what to expect with only good surprises. Thanks again and hope to see you back here some day.
Glenn
:crafty:Glenn, nice post. I told you when I left last week I would work to get the word out. If you have access to Undercurrent check out my trip report there. I butchered yours and Michele's name, sorry about that. For those who have not been to Statia, or do not have access to Undercurrent (shame on you) here is my impression of the island. If you have been around long enough to remember Sea Hunt, Flipper and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea you may have been diving when diving was really an adventure. Diving on Statia can make you feel like you are Capt. Don anchoring off an unknown island and discovering what is under the water for the first time. Every dive has tons of lobsters, rays, and large, un-pressured reef fish. Sharks were not uncommon too. The corals are in great shape. Glenn's boat "EZ Livin" is a perfect dive platform for this island. Very short trips to the many dive sites, in a week we didn't scratch the surface of all the sites. The island is really what the Caribbean was like 25 years ago. For those Parrot Heads out there this is the type of island life Jimmy Buffet sings about. Golden Rock was like a throw back to when diving was a real adventure sport, nothing fancy but a great atmosphere. Where else can you get a local to grill up a great beach BBQ of lobster and fish? If your the type of diver who likes 5 star meals served with a white napkin then don't bother. But, if you are a diver who wants to experience what Grand Cayman and Coz use to be like spend a few days on Statia. You will not be sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom