Info on Morphous pro BC and Proton V16 reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there, I'm presently looking over the purchase of some Mares gear, and need some honnest input from the manufacturers ( I hope that's possible). I know that the Morphos pro BC and proton V16 regulator are last years models (so discontinued), but there are some killer deals on these available, so I am considering their purchase as a solid possibility. I personally don't mind buying older models, if it saves me a good amount of money... as long as the equipment wasn't discontinued for reasons such as poor performance, quality problems, possible design flaws, bad design etc...

So I guess what I am asking is... and please, you Mares reps be honnest... Why were these products dropped from the Mares lignup or redesigned? Were there major reasons for dropping them? Or just marketting new models? Any major flaws in these models?

Also, what would be any arguments you could give me to buy the current models of BC and Regulator? The current equivalents would be I suppose the Dragon Airtrim BC and V16 metal regulator? Any big improvements that would make it worth the extra money for me to get these?

Any thoughts on this? I'd greatly appreciate your honnest feedback! You make great products.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

You are correct, both are being discontinued (we still have them in stock) and there are some great deals on these. Neither is for quality or design issues, but both are for different reasons.

BC: The Morphos Pro is a really good BC (you can read reviews by owners on the boards) that was never promoted well, was originally priced a little too high and therefore never sold well. (There are many consumer products like this in all categories). The Dragon Airtrim uses a new bladder design, has a different fit and many other features. Both are great products, but at it's current price the Morphos is a super value.

V16 Metal is also a good solid performer (see what other users say). It has been in the line for a while but based on some newer designs we are working on it will not fit in our line position in the future. It is also a great value and it's performance is not diminished in any way because we will come out with newer designs and products in the future.

I hope this helps in your decision, thanks for your support. And Yes, manufacturers can be honest.

Regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,
thanks for the snappy reply! I appreciate your comments on the products.... I should have mentioned that the regulator is the V16 proton XL, rather than the metal which is the current model.... So the metal is going to be ended next year?

Thanks again for your helpfull input!

Only difference between XL & Metal is 2nd stage. So, V16 1st stage will be discontinued at end of year.

Phil

Thanks for your help Phil!:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom