Inflator Hose Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the exhaust to do my initial dump at the surface to go under. After that I use my rear dump on my right side to do all air dumping. My pull cord was also ran to the front on my BC - I didn't like it at all - I was used to ones with a short cord right next to the valve - so I modified it that way. I use the exhaust to do my ascent at the end of the dive. I have another valve on my right rear shoulder - that I never use. I might try using that dump to do my ascent/descent - if that works I'll never use my exhaust.

Bryan St.Germain:
If you're horizontal on descent/ascent, using the inflator hose pull dump feature works fine. It's a simple mechanism and you shouldn't worry about wearing it out.

But if you can ascend/descend horizontally, by all means use the lower right pull dump. It's not just what's intended (see for exaple your bc's full description on the Aqualung web site), it also requires a very small and relaxed movement from your right arm.

You know, I thought this too. But either my inflator is defective (don't say it!) or it doesn't work as well as I thought. I need to get my wing in the pool and try it out. However on this weekend's dives, I was trying to be VERY careful about buoyancy and I found myself in two rapid ascents because the inflator hose venting simply didn't work. I was in good trim and started my ascents with breath control.

When I use the wing pull dump, things work very smoothly.

PerroneFord:
You know, I thought this too. But either my inflator is defective (don't say it!) or it doesn't work as well as I thought. I need to get my wing in the pool and try it out. However on this weekend's dives, I was trying to be VERY careful about buoyancy and I found myself in two rapid ascents because the inflator hose venting simply didn't work. I was in good trim and started my ascents with breath control.

When I use the wing pull dump, things work very smoothly.
:confused: And my confusion continues. As I quoted terms from the book above...
(1) Low Pressure Inflator mechanism - with Inflator Button - to inflate the BC from the low pressure hose connected to the Reg & tank;
(2) Exhaust Valve - with Deflator Button - to deflate the BC from the hose; and
(3) Dump valve - they only mention one for simplicity, as almost all BCs today have at least one at the base of the hose.
Therefore the inflator hose is used for inflating, not venting.

I suppose you meant the Exhaust Valve/Deflator Button is not working well...?

I've had my Seaquest Balance for about a year and a half, and it's always been great. But recently I've been diving alot off of LBTS and as a result my diving skills have become much better, thanks to Marvel, ScubaJenny, and BadMojo. One thing that plays a big part in this whole discussion is proper weighting, as I have just recently learned. I took the plunge and bought a new steel hp 100. Expensive tank, but I don't regret one penny of it. Currently, I've been diving with 4 pounds of weight in my integrated weight pockets, while diving with a 3mm shorty. The whole point of this is that I hardly inflate my bc if at all while under water. The only time there is any air in it is at the surface. As a result, I hardly use my pull dump unless I do a head first decent, and instead opt for using the hose pull dump which works great.

Diving has been so much more enjoyable because I don't carry 14-16 lbs of lead. Now I just glide underwater, such a nice feeling ;-)

DandyDon:
:confused: And my confusion continues. As I quoted terms from the book above...

Therefore the inflator hose is used for inflating, not venting.

I suppose you meant the Exhaust Valve/Deflator Button is not working well...?

Yes Don.. The DEFLATOR button seems to not be deflating well at depth.

DandyDon:
Okay, I was getting confused on terms, so I dug out my Padi OW book. It's 4 years old, and I doubt the terms have changed. They use the terms:
(1) Low Pressure Inflator mechanism - with Inflator Button - to inflate the BC from the low pressure hose connected to the Reg & tank;
(2) Exhaust Valve - with Deflator Button - to deflate the BC from the hose; and
(3) Dump valve - they only mention one for simplicity, as almost all BCs today have at least one at the base of the hose. Many BCs have more than one Dump, as our Probes have 3.

Based on those terms, are you - and the others - using the Exhaust Valve/Deflator Button or the Dump...?

I have gotten the two adjacent buttons confused, hitting the Inflator rather than the Deflator, and I have seen full runaway ascents from this, so I prefer the Dump.

Exhaust valve deflator button. Rarely use the hose pull dump. Use the right shoulder and rear lower dumps for quick trim adjustments when needed.(infrequent) Diving usually with pst steel 80, probe bc, and if in my polartech about 6lbs of weight. 2# in each ditchable and 1# in rear trim pockets. If in swim trunks just use 2# in ditchable. 5mil takes 3 in each ditchable, 2 in each rear trim. Dry suit is a whole nother thing:D

JimLap:
Exhaust valve deflator button. Rarely use the hose pull dump. Use the right shoulder and rear lower dumps for quick trim adjustments when needed.(infrequent) Diving usually with pst steel 80, probe bc, and if in my polartech about 6lbs of weight. 2# in each ditchable and 1# in rear trim pockets. If in swim trunks just use 2# in ditchable. 5mil takes 3 in each ditchable, 2 in each rear trim. Dry suit is a whole nother thing:D
OK - gotcha', thanks. Then, if I may reword your previous post a little according to this...
But I do use the --- dump alot and have never had a problem with confusing the buttons. forefinger-deflate, thumb-inflate
I guess this confusion thing will vary greatly with divers. I know well it happens, tho, since it has happened some to me, and I've seen it happen with drastic outcomes to others - when they try to slow their ascent but instead accelerate it and find themselves bobbing on the surface rather than doing a safety stop.

The main dump at the base of the deflator hose took me a little getting used to, but I find now that I can release small burps periodically on ascending - without my risk of confusion. Swimming horizonally, of course, I lot the should and lower rear string dumps.
Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I'd recommend taking the hose out of the velcro loop. Works great for me.

If I had a right shoulder dump, I'd probably use that to descend.
Don't you have a dump at the base of the deflator hose? Why not use it...? :wink:

Thanks everyone for all this info! I will try using the shoulder dump at the hose for descents in the future. I will also try not using the velcro. The Balance has a large wing and I am getting used to all the places air can be trapped. I did start using the rear bottom dump and it does work great when horizontal once I could locate it reliably with gloves on.

I was diving (and will dive) with thick gloves (being up here in Chicago) and not using the oral inflator hose button sure works better for me. The second dive I did was worse since I was purposely overweighted because I was carving a pumpkin on a platform during the first part of the dive. Being overweighted in a 7mm suit at around 15-20 feet sure is good bouancy practice and does teach you how to find all the ways to get rid of air in a hurry. I was wishing for my time in Roatan where I had no air in my BC at depth. :) Too bad Wilma messed up my group plans to Cozumel with United still not flying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom