Inflator Hose Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I tried my new Seaquest Balance BC out this past weekend. I loved the feeling of the BC when neutral and found it very stable underwater. However, I found that venting with the inflator hose was problematic unless I was completely vertical. Should I just use the cable pull dump on the hose or the pull dump on the other shoulder to descend? I was getting very frustrated with air trapped in my BC preventing descent.

I think that velcro holding the hose down causes part of the problem since it causes a downward slope for a bit unless very vertical. What do you all do with that? Thanks.

Pull dumps are there for a reason....

Failing that you may need to roll and squeeze a bit to get the last dregs of air out.

On my BC i never dumped from the hose, the entire dive i used the rear lower pull dump and occasionally the upper shoulder dump.
Now ive got a wing ive found the pull dumps very ineffective as pulling the cord just pulls the bladder around inside the bag so ive had to resort to using the hose. Even then after rolling/wriggling im finding it hard to get rid of the last bits of air.

I use the Pro QD and I generally use the pull dump valves (shoulder & lower rear). I've noticed the same thing with the inflator/deflator hose as a release. I tend to descend head first so the lower rear dump works well for me.

I tried using the pull dump on the inflator hose on a rental unit I used once and the whole thing came completely loose!!

During my descent and divemy back bottom dump valve is my friend. If I need to dump it all I just raise that cheek and she's empty.

I never use the inflator pull to dump air. I know it's designed to be used that way, it just seems to put more strain on the inflator assembly than I have a desire to exert.

For a vertical ascent I like to use the inflatitor dump valve. I find it gives me the best control. Be sure to hold it high. I have a buddy that prefers not to velcro his inflator hose down. He likes having the extra elevation. I prefer having it very handy.

My right top shoulder dump is a very fast dumper. I seldom use it.

Play around with it, be conscious of your posture. it may take a few dives to get the hang of controlling the valves smoothly.

Pete

My Oceanic Probe BC has three dumps. I use the main one for intial descents as well as short adjustments on ascent, relying on the other two to release air when I'm horizonal or head down.

Almost never use the air release by the inflator button, as not only is it slower, but too many runaway ascents have been caused by confusing the two adjacent buttons.

If you're horizontal on descent/ascent, using the inflator hose pull dump feature works fine. It's a simple mechanism and you shouldn't worry about wearing it out.

But if you can ascend/descend horizontally, by all means use the lower right pull dump. It's not just what's intended (see for exaple your bc's full description on the Aqualung web site), it also requires a very small and relaxed movement from your right arm.

DandyDon:
My Oceanic Probe BC has three dumps. I use the main one for intial descents as well as short adjustments on ascent, relying on the other two to release air when I'm horizonal or head down.

Almost never use the air release by the inflator button, as not only is it slower, but too many runaway ascents have been caused by confusing the two adjacent buttons.

I also dive with a probe and like the position of the dump cords. right up front where they should be.:D no fumbling around reaching behind.:11: But I do use the inflator dump alot and have never had a problem with confusing the buttons. forefinger-deflate, thumb-inflate.:05:

JimLap:
I also dive with a probe and like the position of the dump cords. right up front where they should be.:D no fumbling around reaching behind.:11: But I do use the inflator dump alot and have never had a problem with confusing the buttons. forefinger-deflate, thumb-inflate.:05:
Okay, I was getting confused on terms, so I dug out my Padi OW book. It's 4 years old, and I doubt the terms have changed. They use the terms:
(1) Low Pressure Inflator mechanism - with Inflator Button - to inflate the BC from the low pressure hose connected to the Reg & tank;
(2) Exhaust Valve - with Deflator Button - to deflate the BC from the hose; and
(3) Dump valve - they only mention one for simplicity, as almost all BCs today have at least one at the base of the hose. Many BCs have more than one Dump, as our Probes have 3.

Based on those terms, are you - and the others - using the Exhaust Valve/Deflator Button or the Dump...?

I have gotten the two adjacent buttons confused, hitting the Inflator rather than the Deflator, and I have seen full runaway ascents from this, so I prefer the Dump.

Personally I never use the inflator/exhaust on my Seaquest Blackdiamond (which I <3) For one thing with thick gloves on it's hard to get the buttons in the first place. On my lp inflator the exhaust and fill buttons are located on opposite sides of the mechanism which simplifies things a little bit, but even still I get mixed up. On my 3rd AOW dive I was pushing the inflator button and wondering why I wasn't descending, then I heard this loud swish of air, I honestly thought the boat had blown up or something, of course it was the overpressure release. Most of the time I use the shoulder dump or either of the back dumps.

jmps:
I think that velcro holding the hose down causes part of the problem since it causes a downward slope for a bit unless very vertical. What do you all do with that? Thanks.
You nailed it. I have the older version without a right shoulder dump, so I use the inflator hose. Yes, the velcro is too low. Just ignore the velcro and leave the hose free...works great.

Back
Top Bottom