Inflating BC during ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you're cruising at depth you can use your lungs as a mini BC to make small reversible adjustments to your buoyancy.

The BC itself should be inflated just to keep you near neutral buoyancy like a fish. It's best to dive at neutral buoyancy.

When you're ascending though, it's dangerous to hold your breath--you should breathe normally to allow the lungs to vent. And the BC is vented not inflated.

Adam

If I remember correctly, kat is either just starting or has not started her certification class yet, but she's got lots of curiosity. Kat, a lot of these questions will be answered in your class.

What is it they say about curiosity and the cat? :D

1. Is this absolutely frowned upon, adding air to a BC to ascend or is it something that is done sometimes. Just curious.

2. What exactly does wetsuit compression mean? Is this the wetsuit wrapping tighter around your body resulting in less buoyancy during a descent?

Thanks.

HT has provided a good answer below but let me add a few thoughts.
Ascending has two meanings in SCUBA. Although they both mean going to the surface however, each one is distinct.

Reason one is you have encountered some sort of issue that requires you go to the surface as fast and as safe as possible. CESA for emergencies or going up quickly but less than 30fpm because you are running short or air.

Reason two is a planed ascent. You turned around at your planed remaining air pressure and now are headed for the surface at a very leisurely pace. I will assume this scenario for my response.

When I plan to ascend, I take it small steps, a few feet at a time. First, I lift my head up, kick a few strokes and arrive at my next planed depth, vent a little and regain natural buoyancy, hover and look around for a bit then repeat until surfacing. It is all about the avoidance of being anything other than precisely naturally buoyant at each depth I stop at.

Kat,

There are more than one way to skin a cat. For ascending, you can either inflate your BC and float up or swim up. Either way, as you're approaching the surface, you will have to start deflate/venting your BC because the air in your BC is now rapidly expanding.

When you ascend by inflating the BC, your ascension becomes harder to control as you rise and the air in your BC expands very rapidly and next thing you know, you'll rocket to the surface. Of course, when you rocket to the surface, you'd risk all kinds of issues with the bends or lung embolism. Speaking of embolism, that's the main reason why you shouldn't be holding your breath on the way up. The air in your lung will expand and if not exhaled then it will rupture your lung. There's nothing wrong with aiding your ascension by breathing in deeply and fill your lungs. Just make sure that you breath out. And during your dive, you shouldn't be holding air and using your lung like a BC because that will lead to CO2 buildup (blinding headache among other things). You don't have to breath in and out like a runaway train either. Just breath in and breath out normally in controlled rhythm.

A lot of divers unfortunately never get their dive weights done correctly either because they don't own their gears and have to rent (it's tough to figure out your dive weights when you use different gears all the time), or they don't care enough to bother with it. But once you've properly weighted yourself, diving becomes so much easier and effortless. This is very evident at ascension and doing safety stop.

I pretty much got my dive weight adjusted down to a gnat's ass (pardon the French) and when I need to ascend, I simply swim up slowly and I will rise slowly with each fin stroke. As I rise, I stick my corrugated hose out horizontally with the same plane as my shoulder and hit the vent button. In this manner, at whichever depth that I'm at, I automatically have enough air in my BC to maintain buoyancy. By the time I reach 20-ft or so, my BC is empty of air and I maintain neutral buoyancy by breathing in and out (not holding my breath and use my lungs as BC - VERY IMPORTANT!!!) and do my safety stop effortlessly.

If you're too lightly weighted, then you will pop like a cork to the surface at this point. If you're too heavily weighted then you will have to fin hard to stay in place or use your inflator button and risk rocketing to the surface. So if you see a person going up and down, up and down, up and down, struggling at the safety stop, that generally tells you that the person is too heavily weighted. Most divers at this point would just grab onto the anchor line or kelps in order to maintain their safety stops. The only time I would need to hold onto a kelp or an anchor line is if there's a current and I don't want to have drifted a couple of hundred yards away from the boat by the time I finish my safety stop.

So, my suggestion is during ascension, instead of holding the inflator above your head and vent, keep it outward at shoulder level and vent.

Kat,

During your training, if it's isn't overly crowded, ask your instructor to work with you as much as possible on your buoyancy, weighting and breathing.

I like to work with my students in the confined water portion of the course to try to come, as close as possible, to their optimum weighting and mastering buoyancy as possible.

And if it's possible, I'd recommend that you try to get a one-on-one with the instructor for some peak performance buoyancy work. Take a tank that has been breathed down to about 500 psi and have your instructor help you work out your weighting at the deepest depth in the pool that's possible.

Helps a lot.

the K

WOW I can't belive there are only 3 pages on this thread after that question. When I saw it for the first time I though it was someone trying to ask a trick question but after reading I see that KAT is not playing trick questions. I remember the first thing that my instructor (Charlie MAtthews from underwater Unlimited here in Coral Gables Fl) <-Free Add LOL told the class the first day. The most important part of diving is "To breathe the second one is to breathe and the third is to breathe" By the way don't forget to breathe. Kat Do not use your breathing to star an ascend that stuff could kill you. Breathe, Swim up, Breathe, release air from BC to become neutral, Breathe and did I mention to breathe. I hope you get the point. By the way in case you donot get it "IT IS TO BREATHE" Good luck

one of the first posts I ever read before my first pool session someone said "Your BC is not an elevator"

Deflate BC @ bottom before ascending & use your legs & fins to come up.....good ROT, of course all ROTs are made to be broken....What were you taught??.....

WOW I can't belive there are only 3 pages on this thread after that question.

It just goes to prove that not everything is controversial on Scubaboard. Sometimes, believe it or not, there's 100% agreement and it's impossible to get those 100 post debates going.

Kat Do not use your breathing to star an ascend that stuff could kill you. Breathe, Swim up, Breathe, release air from BC to become neutral, Breathe and did I mention to breathe. I hope you get the point. By the way in case you donot get it "IT IS TO BREATHE" Good luck
Just to be clear, nobody has advocated breath-holding as a way to modulate buoyancy. Taking a deeper breath than normal, however, is a perfectly safe way to get yourself slightly positive. But, as your instructor taught you, don't hold your breath--keep your airway open. If you are neutrally buoyant, you should feel your buoyancy changing as you inhale and exhale.

Ccameselle,

When neutrally buoyant at depth, using one's breathing volume is a perfectly safe and customary way of initiating an ascent.

A deeper breath than normal makes the diver become slightly positively buoyant and, as a result, causes the diver to start ascending in the water column. As the diver ascends, the gas in the B/C begins to expand and causes the diver to become even more buoyant.

At this time, the diver resumes a normal breathing cycle and vents the expanding gas from the B/C as s/he rises in the water column.

the K

Back
Top Bottom