Inexpensive Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Thanks. I'll leave now :)

No need to leave.

We more than welcome any and all interest on the roots of our sport.

If you are ever interested on diving a double hose regulator I am fairly close.
On Monday there were four of us diving at Nubble light in southern Maine (last Friday we had about 6 double hose divers, several without any BC's in Rockport, MA). We had a great time.

I normally have with me a spare/ loaner Phoenix Royal Aqua Master that can be used with most modern gear, for anyone else interested in trying it.

Soggy:
Pardon me if I am skeptical....I won't argue with you since I am out of my element here and have zero interest in vintage gear.

I totally understand and respect your opinion, but let me assure you that I wouldn't write a statement like that without having some substantiating background.

First let me point that I am far from an expert on failure analysis, but have had exposure to it as part of my engineering work. I also started servicing regulators and Scuba gear about 36 years ago and have redesign and built my own Scuba gear (including regulators).
When doing any kind MTBF (mean time between failure) analysis or any kind of statistical and probability analysis, there are no absolutes and IMHO there is always some black magic to it, so getting into a big argument is basically pointless. :wink:

Luis is an engineer and designed the Phoenix conversion. Aside that, his point about arguing reliability is a good one because there are no controlled studies to prove either way. A good Royal Aqua Master is quite possibly the most robust regulator ever availalbe commonly as proven by the simple fact they stil work and perform some four decades after they ceased production--and that was a mistake in the minds of many. As to no interest in vintage, I have no interest in DIR cave diivng, been there and done that.

DSCF0203-1.jpg

I remember when they put this sign up originally, I think if I recall that we had dove Little River that morning. I wondered where it had gotten off to.

N

Nemrod:
Luis is an engineer and designed the Phoenix conversion.
Next Item on my must have list.

Nemrod:
I remember when they put this sign up originally, I think if I recall that we had dove Little River that morning. I wondered where it had gotten off to.

N
Nice Picture Nemrod! Great T-Shirt! Voit Lung?

CatalinaCanuck:
Next Item on my must have list.

Nice Picture Nemrod! Great T-Shirt! Voit Lung?

CatalinaCanuck nice new avatar.

Soggy:
I am out of my element here and have zero interest in vintage gear.

That is kind of too bad. Personally, I like to learn as much as possible about all the different aspects of diving and related subjects.

I don't have the cave diving experience like Nemrod (only a bit of cavern diving), but I am definitely interested on expanding my knowledge on different areas of technical diving.

Learning about the history, design, and evolution of the earlier diving equipment should improve the understanding of how modern equipment works, etc.

As an example, there is nothing like using a double hose regulator to get a better understanding of what small differential pressures can do. Also, IMHO anyone would benefit by learning to dive without using a BC.

Luis, your wasting your time. N

Nemrod:
Luis, your wasting your time. N

Yeah, I understand how modern diving equipment works just fine without having to dive old equipment. It's just not my thing, but diving is different things to different people. For me, it's about enjoying the sites as safely as possible. All the gear is cool, but it's just a means to an end...the gear itself doesn't really do it for me. (Well, except scooters...they are just freakin cool).

Soggy:
Yeah, I understand how modern diving equipment works just fine without having to dive old equipment. It's just not my thing, but diving is different things to different people. For me, it's about enjoying the sites as safely as possible. All the gear is cool, but it's just a means to an end...the gear itself doesn't really do it for me. (Well, except scooters...they are just freakin cool).
Wow... was that another dig?

Back
Top Bottom