Inexpensive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cost of running a boat has nothing to do with giving him a
decent answer on how to get around the top end cost of a boat dive.

The answer some expressed is get his own tanks.

Find a dive boat that will give him a package deal.
ie: 10 dives for "X" amount of dollars.

Find someone that owns a boat.

Some of us did not have Big Bucks when we started out diving.
Quite a few got some kind of help along the way.
That is what this board is all about. Right!!!!!!!

I'm quite sure he did not need to be "educated" on the cost of owning
a boat. Otherwise he would not have asked the question in the first place.

These answer sound a lot better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

JRScuba:
The cost of running a boat has nothing to do with giving him a
decent answer on how to get around the top end cost of a boat dive.

The answer some expressed is get his own tanks.

Find a dive boat that will give him a package deal.
ie: 10 dives for "X" amount of dollars.

Find someone that owns a boat.

Some of us did not have Big Bucks when we started out diving.
Quite a few got some kind of help along the way.
That is what this board is all about. Right!!!!!!!

I'm quite sure he did not need to be "educated" on the cost of owning
a boat. Otherwise he would not have asked the question in the first place.

These answer sound a lot better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:
Crazy Fingers:
Do you all know of some operations that don't cost a fortune for a 10 minute boat ride?
Care to try again. His original question BEGGED to be answered with an explanation of cost.

Crazy Fingers:
Fine, 10-20 minutes of actual running and 20 minutes of dilly-dallying in the ICW. Point is the same. I think it costs a lot of money for the distance you actually get transported.

This is his next post. It clearly shows that this poster has NO conception of the cost to operate a dive boat operation and needs to read about the cost of running a boat for understanding purposes. IMHO

Crazy Fingers:
Frankly, I don't care how good the service is on the boat. I am not on the boat for the experience, I'm just on the boat to get from point A to point B... Perhaps we can answer the question now -- which boats are the least expensive?

He doesn't WANT to know "how to get around the top end cost of a boat dive". He just wants to know "which boats are the least expensive".

Since all the dive boats in the area are basically the same, an explanation of why they cost the same is the correct answer. But, he doesn't want to hear that. Others, such as yourself, appear to have missed his actual question and made up one of your own.

This poster is NOT interested in other ways around the expense of a dive boat. Many offered options as a courtesy, and others took those posts as being "on topic". The truth is that those posts were "off topic" from the original question.

CoolTech:
This poster is NOT interested in other ways around the expense of a dive boat. Many offered options as a courtesy, and others took those posts as being "on topic". The truth is that those posts were "off topic" from the original question.

It is obvious that your perception and those that agree with you is the right one.

Since I do not know him and it appears that no one else on the board does he should be treated with respect. Other people and myself perceived him as one looking for assistance and help. Not looking to be educated.

I would treat you the same way. :wink:

So you have a nice day.:wink:

People are not at times what we perceive them to be.

JRScuba:
It is obvious that your perception and those that agree with you is the right one.

Since I do not know him and it appears that no one else on the board does he should be treated with respect. Other people and myself perceived him as one looking for assistance and help. Not looking to be educated.

I would treat you the same way. :wink:

So you have a nice day.:wink:

People are not at times what we perceive them to be.

Mine was not a flame post. It used quotes from the original poster. QUOTES of what he wanted, not suggestions of alternatives.

What assistance for finding a cheaper dive charter did you suggest? Instead, others assisted in explaining WHY all of the dive charters in the area charge what they charge. He was helped. He was helped to understand why it costs what it costs to hire a charter.

Show me a post where he was not treated with respect!

Yes, I would treat you with respect as well. Show me where I have not treated you with respect.

You also have a nice day.

I will leave your last line completely alone. It makes no sense

Crazy Fingers:
I just can't justify $75 plus air for some guy to take me less than a mile offshore. (SE FL)

Do you all know of some operations that don't cost a fortune for a 10 minute boat ride?

Parrot Island and Lady Go Diver are both less money (more like $50 or $55) for "Joe Walk-on Diver" and give an even better deal for the local dive group members.

Brian
http://e-divers.org

deepstops:
Parrot Island and Lady Go Diver are both less money (more like $50 or $55) for "Joe Walk-on Diver" and give an even better deal for the local dive group members.

Brian
http://e-divers.org

Unless you need tanks at $10 per... then it's back to $70-75, just like everyone else

CoolTech:
Unless you need tanks at $10 per... then it's back to $70-75, just like everyone else

and to my surprise, no one has mentioned the $10.00 tip for the DM, or don't you people tip your DM?

Data:
and to my surprise, no one has mentioned the $10.00 tip for the DM, or don't you people tip your DM?

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

You know... I'm surprised that the dive industy can keep prices for dive boat trips under $75... or under $100 (for an average 4 hour trip).

Unless you're in the Keys or south Florida, chances are your "favorite dive boat" doesn't operate fully except on weekends with a few 1/2 day (4 hour) trips during the week if it gets lucky to have enough people.

So if you wanted to figure costs of a dive op?
* Figure you'll pay $85k for a used "piece of crap" oil crew boat to use as a dive boat.
* Figure $10k in upgrades and maintenance the first year. more if you have engine problems
* Figure $1200/month in dock fees
* Figure $200/month in Insurance. (that number is prob way too low).
* Figure $25k/year to hire a Captain (which is pretty cheap).
* Figure $200 in gas every time it leaves the dock for those wrecks just 1-3 miles off shore. More for further wrecks. (remember dual diesel engines and diesel at $3.50/gallon)
* Cost of Coast Guard inspection (for larger than 6 pack)
* Cost for registration of vessel, business license, etc.
* Advertising costs (web page, brochures, etc).

I'm sure I've missed several "key items" of expenses, but my point is that it's not cheap to operate a boat. There have been several charter boat operators who have 'called it quits' this past 2 years because of failure to generate profits needed to substain their operation.

If I wanted to go do it on my own. Lets say I buy a 21 foot center console, used at $20k.
* I'd have to have a large/full size truck to pull it.
-or-
* pay $200 to $500/month for a slip to put it in.
* $1000 in upgrades (radio, GPS, replace bimini top, etc).
* $500/year in maintenance
* $50 to $200 per trip in Gas, not including that for tow vehicle
* Insurance for boat
* registration fees for boat, tag for trailer.

Even if you went the "el-cheapo" route and bought a $3500 to $5000 boat, I still doubt you'd be saving money taking it to the wreck once you cover ALL your operating expenses.

Mike, your cost estimates are WAY low.

When I moved to SoFla 25 years ago, the boats were charging $25 at that time, I forget what tank rental was, maybe $5 each. So a quarter of a century ago it was $35 before the tip. Just an old-timey diver trying to put things into perspective.

Me? I really can't afford charter boat diving right now except as a treat (I'm going on Saturday and it could be my only charter dive all summer.) So what do I do to feed my addiction to diving? I beach dive when I can, and I am saving up for a dive kayak.

I'm so sorry that some of you seem to be sniping at each other. Bottom line is that the true response to the original question was either a simple "no" or to ignore him and either one would be rude. I see nothing wrong in explaining the reason why there are no "inexpensive boats". Children want to know "why" something is, what's wrong with telling a grownup why we responded why we did?

This is a wonderful online community and we do help each other a lot. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean you weren't helped in some way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom