Inexpensive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRScuba is correct. There are cheaper 'BOATS'. But the cost of diving is going to be about $75 even with Jerry and Parrotisland. He charges $10 per tank as most other ops do. I think he is at $45 or $50 for the trip. So the trip and two tanks is at about $70. His boats, the Fathoms'o'Fun and Fish Food are very good and sit at the corner of the inlet so there is no channel trip whatsoever.
Another good guy in the area is Bryan at Scubatyme. He works his butt off for $60 per person and even changes your tanks as he is the Captain/DM/Mate all on his own. However, you never feel neglected even though he is doing all the duties. If there isn't a preset trip, he will be glad to do the dives you wish to do.
Good luck in your search of cheaper ops, but it will take more than luck to find someone willing to take you out for less than $40.

I'm so disappointed. I saw the title of the thread, "inexpensive boats" and thought someone was creating a list of oxymorons. Well here's mine anyway: "Airline Food."

ItsBruce:
I'm so disappointed. I saw the title of the thread, "inexpensive boats" and thought someone was creating a list of oxymorons. Well here's mine anyway: "Airline Food."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, Crazy has not been back here for a LONG time...

MsParamedic:
Silent World (in Key Largo) charges $65 for a 2 tank dive--and that includes tanks and weights. If you purchase a 3 or 5 dive package--the rates drop even lower.

You get what you pay for here! I dove with SW last week--and it was very bad. The website advertises "No Cattle Boats". Sorry, but a boat that has a capacity of 14 and is carrying 13 is a cattle boat. The boat is small, there is no walkway to the front of the boat to get water, and the crew was rude at best. No drinks or snacks were provided. On our first dive, the clock hit the limit and the capt. wasted no time banging on the side of the boat and firing up the engines to hurry the last two divers along. They couldn't wait to get us off the boat...and couldn't wait to get us back to shore so they could go home. I've never felt more "herded" in my life.

On the other hand, my boat trip with Bryan and ScubaTyme was phenominal. We had 8 divers on a boat that would hold 15. They completly catered to our every need, they provided soda and snacks, they changed out our tanks, and they carried them on and off the boat. The cost was $60 for the trip, and my tank rental made it $80.

For the extra $15, it was like day versus night.

I was surprised by all the OT answers. The poor guy asked if anybody knew of any low-cost boat charters, not for a justification for the prices they charge.

I don't do a lot of charter dives, but the answer I gathered is that in order to get a charter price below $75, you need to bring your own tanks and weights.

Try making the hookup through your LDS or local dive club - we have had good luck there. We did West Palm (misc ledges and the Flower Gardens) for $50 (not including the tips) when we bring our own tanks/weights. As a side note, we helped hump the tanks onto the boat and did all our own changeovers. We booked through Kissimmee Pro Dive and they did a good job of finding a friendly boat. I am not sure of the current rate.

Related to that - you may want to try when it is not lobster season - it seemed like the advertised prices went up a bit recently, but that may be coincident with fuel costs of late.

thedaddy:
I was surprised by all the OT answers. The poor guy asked if anybody knew of any low-cost boat charters, not for a justification for the prices they charge.

Prices in the area are all the same and most people understand the pricing.

So, the explanation of pricing is the next logical step to help this individual understand.

In this case, it was not acceptable to the poster, so he attempted to ask the same question in a different way. Hence, the same answers again.

In the Pompano area, I can call the dive shop, reserve my dive ($55.00 my tanks) have the dive shop book my hotel room with the hotel right next door ($70.00). The hotel room is half the price of any other hotel in the area, and right next to the boat dock.

Everyone’s answers were not off topic, but the question did not allow that all the dive boats in the area charge about the same price.

CoolTech:
Prices in the area are all the same and most people understand the pricing.

Obviously He does not fit into the catagory you call " most people" otherwise he would not be asking for help. He is requesting some guidance from the board to help him do some boat dives in an affordable way. The Ot answers do not help his dilema.

Put your self in his shoes.

Everyone’s answers were not off topic, but the question did not allow that all the dive boats in the area charge about the same price.

Right all were not off topic, but a lot were and did not help him resolve him problem. This is why this thread belongs in the whine and cheese forum.

Are we here to help one another????? or do I get that wrong also.

We aren't going to resolve his problem, because there are no "inexpensive boats". I thought most of the replies were very educational in nature to someone who so very obviously knew nothing about the cost of running a boat. I still think he should strongly consider a diveyak.

This thread reminds me of the old saying "I never grew up my toys just got a lot more expensive"

JRScuba:
Right all were not off topic, but a lot were and did not help him resolve him problem. This is why this thread belongs in the whine and cheese forum.

Are we here to help one another????? or do I get that wrong also.

See Debby's post, just under yours.

Thanks, Debby. That's the answer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom