Vessel Indo Siren Fire?

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to one or more vessels from kayaks to ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heard reports here in Indonesia that the Indo Siren had a major fire onboard. Searched news, but didn’t see anything. FB posts look like the vessel burned to the waterline.

Hoping nobody was hurt, anyone have additional information?

Lance
We are booked on that vessel in early January 2024. Trip leader has notified us of the fire and confirmed all guests and crew safe. Have no status on the vessel and or the trip as he will need to get details from Master Liveaboard. They lost the Palau Siren to a storm and fire some years ago.

We are booked on that vessel in early January 2024. Trip leader has notified us of the fire and confirmed all guests and crew safe. Have no status on the vessel and or the trip as he will need to get details from Master Liveaboard. They lost the Palau Siren to a storm and fire some years ago.
1701378944045.jpeg

It is really a shame that there is no central repository of liveaboard accidents to help all of us make our trip decisions. I tried to do this for the Red Sea but found the experience extremely frustrating. Information is extermely difficult to come by and follow up is nearly non existent. The liveaboard industry does its very best to keep this information a secret. I was on the Red Sea Aggressor I in 2016, three and a half years later, it caught fire and sank, killing one.

1701379484607.png

It is really a shame that there is no central repository of liveaboard accidents to help all of us make our trip decisions. I tried to do this for the Red Sea but found the experience extremely frustrating. Information is extermely difficult to come by and follow up is nearly non existent. The liveaboard industry does its very best to keep this information a secret. I was on the Red Sea Aggressor I in 2016, three and a half years later, it caught fire and sank, killing one.

View attachment 813325
Why doesn't someone/a group with some authority make this reporting a requirement? Does the liveaboard community have that much power? This is not only embarrassing, it is a disgrace.

Why doesn't someone/a group with some authority make this reporting a requirement? Does the liveaboard community have that much power? This is not only embarrassing, it is a disgrace.
It's a global industry, such as it is, and presumably with zero interest in regulation of any sort. I expect every operator figures the next time could be their turn, and they all have a shared interest in perpetuating the impression--illusion?--that liveaboards are easy and safe. Other than passing interest in the general media, Scubaboard and Undercurrent are the two sources that I'm aware of. Perhaps there are others?

What a shame--the Siren appears to have been a beautiful boat.

It's a global industry, such as it is, and presumably with zero interest in regulation of any sort. I expect every operator figures the next time could be their turn, and they all have a shared interest in perpetuating the impression--illusion?--that liveaboards are easy and safe. Other than passing interest in the general media, Scubaboard and Undercurrent are the two sources that I'm aware of. Perhaps there are others?

What a shame--the Siren appears to have been a beautiful boat.
I choose my boats very carefully these days. I will be going to Revillagigedos on the Nautilus Explorer in 2024 and back to Malpelo on the Ferox in 2025. I have been on both boats before.

Reactions: Dan
14 boats in 20 years seems low (0.7 per year), but at the same time, a lot! LOL They're losing nearly a boat per year in the Red Sea...and I'm sure this isn't a comprehensive list for the reasons the OP stated. What's most compelling to me is they've lost 6 boats in the most recent TWO YEARS when you'd think modern technology and modern safety features would prevent or mitigate some of these accidents. Of course, you have to implement them......

Yikes. I was supposed to be on the Indo Siren last month but broke my leg and had to cancel the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom