Vessel Indo Siren Fire?

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to one or more vessels from kayaks to ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Master mentioned in their statement they will be contacting all guests. Looks like the boat is lost unfortunately, but I'm sure they will try to get you on another so you can still go to Raja. Your group leader will no doubt hear shortly.

BTW Palau Siren still going strong. She launched in 2012, think there was a bit on the reef in 2016 but she was refloated and fixed. All good. Friends went on her in August 😉
Until last week, I did not have information on this accident. For what is is worth Master DID NOT contact their future booking. I got an email last week stating they are trying to get a boat together for a trip I have schedule in March. I will be putting together another post on the dive travel company this was booked with. They accepted my final deposit on the Siren 1/7/24 and also made no notification of this accident.

I will have to say that Siren/Master fleet has certainly had their share of incidents. That is certainly of concern. However, the one thing that to my knowledge each passenger has been well taken care after the fact. One cannot say that about the major industry operator.

Regarding the "hit unseen object" one of the biggest issues for small boats are shipping containers that have fallen off ships. They tend to float just below the waterline. Hitting those are rather catastrophic.
I was on the Philippine Siren very soon after the Conception fire and was very wary on the safety procedures. Most guest was talking about or were aware of the Conception. The crew was very diligent on the fire safety procedures. The good thing with that boat was all but 2 rooms had an emergency exit to the deck from the ceiling of the room, and the 2 that didn't could exit through the front end of the hallway. They were very aware of battery fires during charging. I was charging my NiMH batteries in my room and they always unplugged it when they made up my room. They still had the charge station inside the salon, but everything gets turned off at night.

I do say that the way these (or the Siren) Pinisi are designed, the bridge is at the very rear of the boat, and with it being only a few feet higher than our sunken outdoor dining area, their view is mostly the sunning deck of the ship. So I don't doubt obstacles like floating shipping containers could be hard to spot.

I was to be on the Indo Siren late in 2022, right on the post covid opening of Raja Ampat, but its engine failed a couple of days before my scheduled boarding and they had to cancel that sailing. I was right in the middle of my pre-sailing stay on Nusa Lembongan right off Bali. There was alot of agonizing moments and hoops jumped to get a refund instead of credit to a future Indo Siren sailing (thank god I fought for that), find another liveaboard, change local flight to accomondate difference in length of sailing and change hotel in Bali to accomondate the extra stay needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom