Vessel Indo Siren Fire?

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to one or more vessels from kayaks to ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure what is more of a worry. The fact there are people out there that are dumb enough not be able to work out how much free Nitrox and beer saves on a trip, or the fact that the standard for dive courses is that low that they passed the theory

Yeah, that’s not people choosing the cheaper boat, that is just a clientele with low brain capacity. They actually chose the more expensive choice so that whole argument is backwards. You can’t use one example in one part of the world and make mass generalizations about the entire world. That’s quite myopic. And if we are talking about Florida and the general vicinity…that is a rather unique customer base. It is no where near a full representation of how the rest of the world thinks and operates. I would also venture to guess that marketing of the two trips and the differences may have played a role in people‘s decisions.

SOME people do want safety. Maybe not all and maybe not most but there are plenty of people out there willing to pay an extra buck or two to get some semblance of safety. A good briefing does not cut it in my eyes and a briefing has nothing to do with how the boat is kept. My most recent trip was on the Nautilus Belle Amie. That fleet takes safety seriously and it shows. I can say with 100% certainty that the vast majority of the divers on that boat chose it for safety. I specifically asked every single passenger on the boat about this.

I was on the ill fated Red Sea Aggressor a few weeks before it sank. Saftey is of utmost importance for me and whoever I travel with. I typically organize the trips for my group. I know that I will never ever take a boat in the Siren/Master fleet. I made that decision way before this incident as their track record speaks volumes. There are far cheaper options that those two fleets too. Did mass charging stations with lots of lithium batteries even exist in the situation referenced above? Times change, demands change and so do levels of safety. One can’t look at the past and just say, well that’s how it’s been so that’s how it‘s going to be…

Choosing one example and experience and implying that it is some omniscient view that enlightens others is rather comical. Liveaboard passengers are an odd bunch…there is a very very wide range of what people want and demand on the boats. The Indo Siren isn’t any cheaper than other boats in the area anyway so none of that logic applies in this case. There are many cheaper boats in that area.

I am not sure what is more of a worry. The fact there are people out there that are dumb enough not be able to work out how much free Nitrox and beer saves on a trip, or the fact that the standard for dive courses is that low that they passed the theory
Which agencies include calculating the total cost of nitrox for a trip in the curriculum?

Which agencies include calculating the total cost of nitrox for a trip in the curriculum?
None that I know of, but I always thought reading the fine print was something most reasonable people did, or maybe I am just excessively anal retentive

I lost my ass. The other boat continued to run full, I ran about 75% full. When I asked why, every response said price was the factor.
I'd be curious as to how the trips were advertised, and how clear the difference was to passengers...and of course, where this was and whether you had frugal local divers or dive tourists as the main customer base.
The initial price is the only consideration for a very large percentage of people when booking a dive trip.
Yet All Star Liveaboards has both Blackbeards cruises and the AquaCat in the Bahamas.

A number of locales, such as the Galapagos and Raja Ampat (and based on other's trip reports, Komodo) have a range of price level niches.

Back before the Conception disaster, Truth Aquatics' boat the Vision ran both regular and some limited load (i.e.: reduced max. customer number) trips. Enjoyed my not-full limited load trip; wouldn't want to've done a fully packed regular trip.

From your reputation on ScubaBoard, I'm confident even the cheaper boat was safe enough, given your management position over it. I can swat a few mosquitos going and coming to save money. You might would'a had me at free soda...if it was Coke Zero or Diet Coke.

I'd be curious as to how the trips were advertised, and how clear the difference was to passengers...and of course, where this was and whether you had frugal local divers or dive tourists as the main customer base.

Yet All Star Liveaboards has both Blackbeards cruises and the AquaCat in the Bahamas.

A number of locales, such as the Galapagos and Raja Ampat (and based on other's trip reports, Komodo) have a range of price level niches.

Back before the Conception disaster, Truth Aquatics' boat the Vision ran both regular and some limited load (i.e.: reduced max. customer number) trips. Enjoyed my not-full limited load trip; wouldn't want to've done a fully packed regular trip.

From your reputation on ScubaBoard, I'm confident even the cheaper boat was safe enough, given your management position over it. I can swat a few mosquitos going and coming to save money. You might would'a had me at free soda...if it was Coke Zero or Diet Coke.
Only coke products.

I am no barbarian.

The initial price is the only consideration for a very large percentage of people when booking a dive trip.
I agree,,,, and If liveaboards followed the Airlines pricing model all vacations would be $999 with fees for:
baggage + overweight
defog
fresh water rinse
air fills
All food
AC to your cabin
luke warm or hot water
sheets
& of course headphone fee for the free nightly muted movie.

Back to Siren Fleet misfortunes. here are list of what I can gather. You all can add what I miss:

2009 - Sampai Jumpa sunk after hit by a freighter
2011 - Mandarin Siren went down in flames
2012 - Oriental Siren hull crack & sunk
2015 - Truk Siren ran aground, looted & burnt
2015 - Palau Siren ran agound, repaired
2017 - Fiji Siren hit something & sunk
2023 - Indo Siren burnt to water level

Reference articles:

One of my dive buddies took a trip on the Indo Siren shortly before it burned. She wrote an article for our local dive club newsletter about the trip and her observations of the safety precautions on the boat. I was also supposed to be on the trip, but I broke a leg and had to cancel.

Read it here: 2023-12 Buoy Tender.pdf

I've been rebooked on a boat called the Hatiku to replace the Indo Siren.

I've been rebooked on a boat called the Hatiku to replace the Indo Siren.

Never heard of it, but it looks nice. Hatiku means My Heart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom