Individual Rights, and other Myths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diving must be organized on professional basis.This game is not being given the essential support and funds.So there must be institutions where the divers must be trained.[/QUOT

???????????

The diving must be organized on professional basis.This game is not being given the essential support and funds.So there must be institutions where the divers must be trained.

Indeed! And I hear the surface interval is being renamed the "half time" show. This changes up my criterion for dive buddy selection though, as previously I had not considered the possible benefits of wardrobe malfunctions.

Indeed! And I hear the surface interval is being renamed the "half time" show. This changes up my criterion for dive buddy selection though, as previously I had not considered the possible benefits of wardrobe malfunctions.

Oh BOY!!! does this mean we get Cheerleader's?

DavidJames - That was Weird...

But it does remind me of one reason why I love diving, and that is the LACK of "organization". I love the complete freedom of doing my own thing, and I think many divers feel the same way.

But it does remind me of one reason why I love diving, and that is the LACK of "organization". I love the complete freedom of doing my own thing, and I think many divers feel the same way.

Kinda puts your original question in context doesn't it?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

"DavidJames" was a spammer...

Some pretty savvy people here on SB have recently defended the principle of "Individual Rights", making the point that divers have the right to dive any way they like, as long as they don't harm others.

This is a version of the good old American ideal of the rugged individualist exercising his individual liberty, and has strong emotional appeal because it's linked to the successes of American icons like Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, and Steve Jobs.

But does it really apply to scuba divers? Do we have the "individual right" to dive in a reckless manner because it's nobody else's business? If there is an accident or fatality, is it true that it doesn't harm others?

Frankly, I find this argument to be childish, arrogant, and wrong. Childish because it fails to recognize the inevitable consequences of an accident on other people. Arrogant because the average scuba diver is no Thomas Edison. Wrong because the implicit assumption - of "no harm to others" - is virtually impossible.

So let's get real here: If a scuba diver is hurt doing something reckless or stupid, it affects their friends, families, fellow divers, rescue folks, medical folks, insurance folks, dive businesses, and the reputation of the dive community. Do we have the "right" to do that?

Bolding is mine.

If you adhere to the notion that with rights come responsibilities, I don't see a conflict there ... we always have the freedom to do the right thing. It is only when we exercise our freedom to the detriment of others that someone will decide to take that freedom away from us ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree that there isn't a conflict in what you just said Bob, however;
In his opening sentence Mike observed that some divers believe they: have the right to dive any way they like, as long as they don't harm others.
In his fourth sentence he then states his opinion on this belief: Frankly, I find this argument to be childish, arrogant, and wrong.
In his last post he now states: I love the complete freedom of doing my own thing.

His insistence that divers doing their own thing as long as it didn't harm others was childish arrogant and wrong prompted a lot of debate - now he says he enjoys doing his own thing. There is the conflict - unless what we type doesn't mean what we type.

Now some may argue that one needs to read between the lines to decipher a posters true intent but I say a poster needs to be specific in their assertions and not cast the onus of blame across a large group when they are only addressing the behavior of a select few ie: all DIR divers are elitist, all recreational divers are poorly trained, all deep air divers are irresponsible, all commercial/ex military divers are dinosaurs, all divers doing their own thing are childish arrogant and wrong... If we did this SB might be a more civilized place and discussions might be more productive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom