Individual Rights, and other Myths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one else in the world's concepts are being considered or discussed.

Individual rights are not nation specific. They are universal to the human race or should be but many nations restrict them to a greater or lesser degree by laws and force of arms .

That statement assumes that American concepts on freedom and human rights are undeniable... and the rest of the world is failing to adhere to the 'American Way'... and therefore lesser, or wrong.

That statement assumes that American concepts on freedom and human rights are undeniable... and the rest of the world is failing to adhere to the 'American Way'... and therefore lesser, or wrong.

I take your point, but hubris is not an exclusively American phenomenon, nor did we invent it. In any case, this sort of quarreling among friends is disagreeable, so I think we should just blame everything on the French.

No one else in the world's concepts are being considered or discussed.

Well, that is not strictly true, because we have had several posts from you, which I enjoyed and "liked" and agreed with.

And we have had posts from one or two Canadians, who are - technically - not Americans, except when they need their health care delivered with some alacrity.

And we have had a number of people from the country of Louisiana make some remarks, although for the life of me I cannot understand them.

But in the final analysis, it is up to non-Americans to "consider and discuss" the non-American viewpoint. We have led the horse to water, but we can't make him drink.

Sure.

So..back to the original question:

If a scuba diver is hurt doing something reckless or stupid, it affects their friends, families, fellow divers, rescue folks, medical folks, insurance folks, dive businesses, and the reputation of the dive community. Do we have the "right" to do that?

Note: there is no explicit instruction that we're talking about an American scuba diver, who is diving in America. So, whilst the American definition of 'freedom' and 'rights' should be entertained - the progression of the discussion would be more universally beneficial if it didn't deal with the question solely on that basis. After all, America only accounts for approx 5% of the global population (1).

Does the community majority have the right to legislate the minority?

Do agencies have the right to legislate their 'customers'... who hold their certifications?

Do agencies have the right to legislate dive operations, using the leverage of business accreditations/franchising and affiliations?

Does an 'international' body like the RSTC have such rights?

What legislations are in place around the world? How are they 'enforced'? How effective are they? Should they be applied globally?

There's lots that we 'can' talk about... but "what (US) states you can wear bike helmets in" or "what the (US) constitution protects" is neither globally applicable, nor particularly developmental to the debate.

Just saying...

My reply was "not" in so called American concept but in concepts of freedom and human rights that belong to all individuals world wide. That their respective governments chose to restrict those right either with or without the consent of the governed does not make the rights any less valid.

Back
Top Bottom