Indecision - Providenciales or Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtimm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to dive a location new to me in Sept. Am considering Provo or Dominican Republic (Bayahibe area). I'd like recommendations on dive operators in both places (or perhaps those to avoid).

Regarding Provo, it seems most good locations are about a hour's boat ride from Provo's resorts. Given that, what can I expect in terms of viz, fish and health of reef/environment? Is the diving experience on a par with the effort?

What about Bayahibe in the DR -- so, so or good diving? What can I expect?

Thanks for your comments!!

gtimm
Dive often - have fun.

I think you will find that hands-down, T&C is better for diving than DR. Try Fifi with Caicos Adventures or Turtle Divers for dive ops on T&C in Provo area.

gtimm:
I'm looking to dive a location new to me in Sept. Am considering Provo or Dominican Republic (Bayahibe area). I'd like recommendations on dive operators in both places (or perhaps those to avoid).

Regarding Provo, it seems most good locations are about a hour's boat ride from Provo's resorts. Given that, what can I expect in terms of viz, fish and health of reef/environment? Is the diving experience on a par with the effort?

What about Bayahibe in the DR -- so, so or good diving? What can I expect?

Thanks for your comments!!

gtimm
Dive often - have fun.

I highly recommend Turks and Caicos especially if you dive with Caicos Adventures. Their boat is very fast and can make the trip to West Caicos in 45 minutes. Their boat is big and comfortable so the 45 minute trip is enjoyable.

If you have a highspeed internet connection try this link to my dive video from my vacation there.

www.ronrosa.com/tc.wmv

Contact Fifi at Caicos Adventures. I have never dived the DR and frankly, from what I hear, I don't intend to. I have been diving the TCI for years and put it on a par with Little Cayman and Cozumel. I have had vis over 125 feet at times. The big marine life is almost guaranteed with lots of eagle rays and sharks on every dive. I've seen whales and dolphins on occasion. The reefs are very healthy and the wall diving will blow you away. Highly recommended.

ronrosa:
If you have a highspeed internet connection try this link to my dive video from my vacation there.

www.ronrosa.com/tc.wmv
You showing off again Ron, I'm trying to put a new one together myself using a new editing package...so much for keeping it simple. If you haven't checked out Rons site yet Gtimm, it's worth the visit.

I'll have to join the choir on this one. I have been diving in both places and T&C is hands down the better of the two. Bayihibe is probably some of the best diving you'll find in DR, but it is definetly not on par w/T&C.

Enjoy your trip,

Jeff

JRO:
You showing off again Ron, I'm trying to put a new one together myself using a new editing package...so much for keeping it simple.
Jeff

Yeah, but my videos are getting a little old. Haven't made a new one in a while. I'm in Aruba for a week in June, so hopefully I'll get some good wreck footage and make a new video.

What editing package are you using ?

ronrosa:
Yeah, but my videos are getting a little old. Haven't made a new one in a while. I'm in Aruba for a week in June, so hopefully I'll get some good wreck footage and make a new video.

What editing package are you using ?

I'll look forward to seeing it...Aruba was my first Carribean dive (I think the Antilles was the name of the wreck).

I just received Sony Vegas in the mail (couple weeks ago). It is much more complex than Microsoft Movie Maker...it also seems to be able to do considerably more than the Microsoft freebie that I was using. Manuals always seem to be written by engineers to be read by computers. But I will use my normal method...."push this button...pray...push that button...pray"

Enjoy the trip,

Jeff

JRO:
I'll look forward to seeing it...Aruba was my first Carribean dive (I think the Antilles was the name of the wreck).

I just received Sony Vegas in the mail (couple weeks ago). It is much more complex than Microsoft Movie Maker...it also seems to be able to do considerably more than the Microsoft freebie that I was using. Manuals always seem to be written by engineers to be read by computers. But I will use my normal method...."push this button...pray...push that button...pray"

Enjoy the trip,

Jeff

I use Vegas also, although it's the version prior to the Sony buyout. There is a great Vegas user's forum for any questions you may have. I found the search function very valuable.

https://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom