Incompetent And Unaware: We Don’t Know What We Don’t Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome article. Some of the comments would be particularly beneficial for people participating in A & I threads! Thanks

Gareth, this is brilliant and could be applied to lots of other areas besides diving - I'm thinking this would be great to show new graduate nurses.

Thanks for all the comments.

These issues aren't just diving related, but applicable to so many walks of life. The healthcare area is a domain I am looking at too and have just finished two sessions with part of an ICU team looking to develop their teamwork and communications skills.

Fundamentally, without a Just Culture we will not learn. Sidney Dekker (and many others) make it quite clear: there are two reasons to undertake an investigation after an adverse event - you can either look to blame someone, or you can look to learn from the event. Unfortunately the two are mutually exclusive!!

If you want any more information, or have questions, just ask away! I love to help people!!

Regards

Gareth

Useful article post. Here waiting new post from you and Some of the comments would be particularly beneficial for people participating Thanks in advance

Nice article Very nice indeed. I like where this is going...

There is something else to wiggle into the conversation the future: reasoning from deductive, inductive to abductive learning & reasoning models.

Sure we learn, massively I might add, from failure analysis. Human learning or repetitive adaptation comes through many forms. In the video did the guy who merely turned because of the crowd actually learn something? Or did we as the observer?

Field experience is great when managing failures or risky situations and especially team debriefing during success and failure are emphasized. I am passionate about conducting failure analysis beyond talking (arm chairing the situation) about but actually reheasrsing what went wrong and replaying if we would have responded accordingly (or not)?

Just my four cents worth...btw: this is good stuff!!

Thanks for the opportunity to pipe up on a relevant subject.

Peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom