Incident on the Lillie Parsons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off the reason I asked you to wait for the report is for the reason listed about. The gentleman who brought the diver to the surface was the one with the embolism, and he is/was being treated. When you try to make an evaluation of an incident without certain known facts, it is just speculation. We do not know if there was air in the lungs or how much air was in the tanks and we haven't heard any first hand reports so how do we determine the cause? Hard facts are missing.

j-valve:
My most sincere condolences to the families of all involded.

If this is for me... the powers (coroner) have made a determination.It has been reported in the media and this is where the information goes. If you don't like it, petition to have the whole accidents section removed.

Jody

It was not directed at you Jody. Do you have a link to the report so I may see it.

http://www.cfra.com/headlines/index.asp?cat=1&nid=20632

Autopsy: Diver Surfaced Too Quickly
Bob Perreault
Thursday, October 14, 2004

Autopsy results confirm a Scarborough man diving in the St. Lawrence in Brockville over the long weekend died because he came up too quickly.

Police say 53 year-old Robert Connell died from an air embolism when he rushed to the surface while on an exploration of the Lillie Parsons Schooner Shipwreck Thanksgiving morning.

Connell was diving with an instructor when the incident happened

Sorry Cobaltbabe, I don't post much,my tag line says it all.

Jody

j-valve:
http://www.cfra.com/headlines/index.asp?cat=1&nid=20632

Autopsy: Diver Surfaced Too Quickly
Bob Perreault
Thursday, October 14, 2004

Autopsy results confirm a Scarborough man diving in the St. Lawrence in Brockville over the long weekend died because he came up too quickly.

Police say 53 year-old Robert Connell died from an air embolism when he rushed to the surface while on an exploration of the Lillie Parsons Schooner Shipwreck Thanksgiving morning.

Connell was diving with an instructor when the incident happened

Sorry Cobaltbabe, I don't post much,my tag line says it all.

Jody

No hard feelings. I am glad to be enlightened though. It's a shame. None of us know how we will react until the time comes.

I think we all want to know what really happened because we fear for our own safety. Unanswered questions just add to a percieved risk. I'm not sure how they could differentiate between an air embolism causing damage on the way up and whatever may have occurred at depth. It seems unlikely that an air embolism would have developed before surfacing. So... maybe there's something else we will never figure out and that is what caused the initial loss of conciousness. In tonight's Brockville paper it said "an air embolism from an unknown source caused the death". It also stated that further investigations "and other contributing factors would have to be considered" db

diverdeb001:
I think we all want to know what really happened because we fear for our own safety. Unanswered questions just add to a percieved risk. I'm not sure how they could differentiate between an air embolism causing damage on the way up and whatever may have occurred at depth. It seems unlikely that an air embolism would have developed before surfacing. So... maybe there's something else we will never figure out and that is what caused the initial loss of conciousness. In tonight's Brockville paper it said "an air embolism from an unknown source caused the death". It also stated that further investigations "and other contributing factors would have to be considered" db

AFAIK, air embolism does not generally occur unless there is a significant change of pressure - so it could not occur at depth by definition.

What could occur at depth are CO2 prompted blackout due to exertion or an oxtox hit (no idea what he was diving for backgas)

The reports contradict each other though. How can someone that was found unconcious can rush to the surface?

And before i get reprimanded for showing disrespect - as the sticky in the beginning of this forum states - this forum is not for condolenses or emotions but rather for information gathering and accident analysis, so that we all can learn - and learn we can - this incident raises so many quesitons

I have dove with ron before(the rescuer/instructor) and i felt beyond comfortable with his profesionalism, and expertise in and out of the water. I have no dought in my mind that what was done, was done correctly. Also my condolences for all parties involved with this inccident.
I think that we should wait for all the findings to be brought forward before you start speculating, because other wise you will start insulting people, that probably have friends here, so keep that in mind please whn you are posting about what happened, i only know what i have read on here, and in the newspaper links.

Vlada: According to the newspaper reports, he was rushed to the surface by his buddy, after he was seen to be sinking to the bottom. They had to be out past the mast to be in 100feet of water and the current has been very strong lately. Your idea of a possible blackout related to exertion, CO2 build up is definitely plausible. db

Good Readership,

In continuing the general information aspect of this thread, I'd like to point out to the membership the importance of insuring our pulmonary ( lungs ) systems are/ remain healthy for our diving activities.

Various lung conditions ( eg: chest cold, asthma, C.O.P.D.'S ) can lead to gas pocket entrapmemt while diving, creating the potential for trapped gas expansion with resultant pulmonary overexpansion injury. Another condition which, if undiagnosed, could cause problems are "blebs" ( weakened areas on the lung walls ) that could potentially rupture u/w, resulting in pneumothorax, & even more threateningly, "tension pneumothorax", if the failiure happens @ significant depth to cause air expanding in the pleural cavity ( on ascent ) to compromise vital function(s).

These facts contribute to my passionate belief that all entry level divers receive proper medical screening prior to engaing in u/w activities; further, that all divers remain vigilant of their fitness to dive by having an annual physical which is complete in its' review of relevant physical systems.

Regards,
D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom