Incident on the Lillie Parsons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L:
Here is the story in the today's Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20041012/TORBRIEFB12/TPNational/Toronto

On a personal note, this has hit close to home as I have dove with Rob recently (not on this trip) and the instructor involved in the rescue is a colleague and friend.
The Article (sometimes they go away pretty quickly and I thought this might be of value):

Toronto scuba diver dies in St. Lawrence River

Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - Page A15

Ottawa -- Despite a scuba instructor's rescue attempt, a 51-year-old Toronto man died yesterday while scouring a 19th-century shipwreck in the St. Lawrence River.

Robert Connell was exploring the wreck of the Lillie Parsons, a 39-metre-long schooner near Brockville, when he died. An autopsy has yet to be performed to determine the cause of death, but Alec Peirce, the owner of the company Mr. Connell was diving with, said police told his instructors the man likely had a heart attack.

Ron Irvine, a certified instructor, "rocketed" to the surface with Mr. Connell in his arms when the instructor noticed he was sinking, said Mr. Peirce, the owner of Scuba 2000. The man was dead even as they surfaced, he said.

Hello everyone... I just wanted to offer my condolences to Ron's family and friends. It is such a tragedy when things like this happen.

For those that don't know the Lillie Parsons, its a wooden two masted schooner that went down in the St. Lawrence in 1868 and now lies at the 42 feet to 83 feet depth.

It's a very popular dive spot for us here.

Truly a sad event.

my prayers and condolenses go out to the familly at this time..

It's now reported that the cause of death was an air embolism. Wouldn't that have been caused by bringing up an unconcious diver?

Jody

Guys, I know that you all want to know what happened but right now I think that it would be more then a good idea to let the powers that be, outside this board, do their research and determine what happened. I am concerned for the survivors and the families at this point. Please do not speculate.

cobaltbabe:
Guys, I know that you all want to know what happened but right now I think that it would be more then a good idea to let the powers that be, outside this board, do their research and determine what happened. I am concerned for the survivors and the families at this point. Please do not speculate.

The "powers that be" never " determine what happened. Once they are comfortable that no crime was commited...they're done.

The powers that be wouldn't know "research" if it crawled up their butt and tickled their ear.

MikeFerrara:
The "powers that be" never " determine what happened. Once they are comfortable that no crime was commited...they're done.

The powers that be wouldn't know "research" if it crawled up their butt and tickled their ear.

Well Mike, i can't believe you think all the internet wizards that tend to show up to these little lynching parties, to speculate their collective butts off, is a good thing either.

I think that is all Colbaltbabe is trying to avoid here.

j-valve:
It's now reported that the cause of death was an air embolism. Wouldn't that have been caused by bringing up an unconcious diver?

Jody
only if the airway was blocked. Unconcious does not imply NOT breathing.

My most sincere condolences to the families of all involded.

If this is for me... the powers (coroner) have made a determination.It has been reported in the media and this is where the information goes. If you don't like it, petition to have the whole accidents section removed.

Jody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom