Incident on the Lillie Parsons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Coming into work I caught the news that there was a fatality over the weekend in Brockville.

What I caught -- a 51 yr old diver from the Toronto area died on the Lillie Parsons.

What is thought was that he died of a heart attack while diving.

The Ottawa Citizen gave a little more detail. The diver was brought to the surface almost immediately, but unfortunately was dead at the surface. An eyewitness said the response and evacuation could not have been better. A credit to the dive and charter operators on the scene.

The instructor who brought the guy to the surface was treated for DCS at the Ottawa Hospital and released.

My condolences to the divers family.

Perhaps barotrauma but DCS? Does Ottawa General even have a chamber?

...sorry, not to detract from the sadness of the event. Very unfortunate especially on such a recreational dive.

msandler:

...sorry, not to detract from the sadness of the event. Very unfortunate especially on such a recreational dive.

The newspaper said treated for "possible air embolism" and released. Was typing fast and DCS was faster to spell. All I know. The main thing is the rescuer is OK.

The General does have a small chamber (10' X 3.5') apparently made of acrylic. So sort of has a chamber.

Newpaper article pretty much sums up what I heard at Divetech when I stopped by yesterday.

A friend of mine was recently treated at the Ottawa chamber, he says it is rather small, but for the rest has nothing but good things to say about the staff that work there.

msandler:

Actually. The Ottawa Hospital, General campus has an extremly skilled team and appropriate facilities. http://www.anesthesia.org/hbu/ for their web site.

Condolences to the family.........Cardiovascular events cause 20 to 30 percent of all deaths that occur while scuba diving. So many people have heart problems, atrial and ventricular septal defects, coronary atherosclerosis, dysrhythmias (including me). It's no wonder we have so many deaths in diving related to heart attacks.

Prudent diet and regular exercise should be habitual for divers. Older individuals and divers who have a family history of heart problems, especially at an early age, should receive appropriate evaluations to detect early signs of coronary artery disease.

I had heard about it on the local news last night. The Ottawa Citzen says "Scuba diver dies while exploring shipwreck.
Despite a scuba instructor's rescue attempt, a 51-year-old man died yesterday while scouring a 19th-century shipwreck in the St. Lawrence River."
(surprisingly more details than they normally issue)

My condolences to the family.

Everything I say is with full respect for the family and all others involved.

I agree with what Shaka Zulu is saying.

Do we need to have more rules involved in diving ? or should we be allowed to potentialy harm ourselves ?

Sorry to hear of another.
Derek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom