Incident at White Star Quarry, 6/9/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I could, I could line you up instructors in New England and Hawaii, but Chicago? Checkout the various freediving boards and forums (google should help).

The PADI couse is, by its very nature, elementary and I think it rather doubtful that it would be taught by an accomplished freediving instructor, but you never know.

I hope by now she'll have mostly recovered..ALL OUR BEST!.maybe she'll post? It seems, some think were "calling this diver out" (one who refused with 300) Not the case at all! We all can appeciate the decision. There's to make period! The thread simply morphed into a "what would you do"???. How the 90' with 300 got folded in....welllllll???/ Somtimes in life, one has to decide....can't be trained for everthing all the time. Do what you can, and know you could. But as stated many times...."try real hard not to die trying".......

Thal,

I've already decided that I want to take a formal swimming class to strengthen my swimming skills. To be honest I've never really liked the idea of Skin Diving but have heard over & over that it would make me a better Scuba Diver. I assume the PADI Skin Diving Course doesn't qualify as a "good" one. Can you please recommend and agency or program that has wide avaliability (I'm in Northern Illinois, near Chicago) and is considered "Good".

I really am interested in improving myself as a Person & Diver before I begin the "Pro" Track. I don't want to be the DM or Instructor who lost a Diver becuase I just wasn't good enough to save someone who trusted me with their life.

Not sure if this will make you a better person, but I've never heard anyone say these classes are not excellent! They are expensive and intensive, but this is taught by preofessionals. The instructor just completely smashed a few world records a couple of weeks ago.'

F.I.I. Freediving Instructors International - from the beginner to the instructor

Okay, so who was it who told me that any decent diver should be able to free dive 40 ft alone with no issues? This new thread Avalon, Catalina - Freediver drowned is about a much younger, healthier, fitter and more experienced diver who went to 20 ft this weekend. Funeral arrangements pending.

Okay, so who was it who told me that any decent diver should be able to free dive 40 ft alone with no issues? This new thread Avalon, Catalina - Freediver drowned is about a much younger, healthier, fitter and more experienced diver who went to 20 ft this weekend. Funeral arrangements pending.
And I stand by my original statement, we have no idea of what happened to this diver, shallow water blackout on a 20 or even 40 foot dive (slightly more than a doubling of ambient pressure) is rather unlikely for any number of reasons (not the least being the laws of physics).

Not rescuing a victim from 40 feet with 300 psi (or just freediving for that matter) is likely to turn a rescue into a recovery. I'm sure glad that the chance of my needing assistance in your jurisdiction is passing small.

My thoughts as well. 300psi is more than enough breaths to drop down to 40'. If it goes empty, I am more than able to do a CESA. Been there, done that from 60'.

And I stand by my original statement, we have no idea of what happened to this diver, shallow water blackout on a 20 or even 40 foot dive (slightly more than a doubling of ambient pressure) is rather unlikely for any number of reasons (not the least being the laws of physics).

Agree.

I think if we get away from freediving and back to the original scenario in this thread, any discussion regarding shallow water blackout is moot. 300 lbs is enough for a dive to 40' to get a victim that may still be alive. I believe that all of us would make the attempt if confronted with the same situation.

Best wishes.

My thoughts as well. 300psi is more than enough breaths to drop down to 40'. If it goes empty, I am more than able to do a CESA. Been there, done that from 60'.
You hadn't read the rest of the posts had you...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom