Incident at White Star Quarry, 6/9/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In all rescue operations it is the saftey of the rescuer that comes first. If the rescuer is trapped or injured then that resource is gone and 2 more crews will need to be brought in to rescue the original victem and now the rescuer that needs help. saftey considerations are made as self 1st, crew 2nd, public 3rd, and then the patient.

SO the rescueeee comes last in priority..(why bother?)..no offence intended, But I shall always keep that in mind.

If this woman has survived then this was the result of a quick response from a few well trained individuals who were willing to put themselves at risk for some one else. If the rescuers would have spent an additional 5 minutes loading up full tanks and full gear then this would have been a recovery effort.

SO the rescueeee comes last in priority..(why bother?)..no offence intended, But I shall always keep that in mind.

A few years ago their was a ambulance that was involved in a accident becasue they were trying to rush to the emergency room with a patient. Their was 3 crew members in the ambulance with the patient. Care was being provided for the patient and the ambulance was in route to a local emergency room. The driver of the ambulance decided that running a stop sign on a exit ramp would save time getting to the hospital and maybe provide a better patient outcome. He procedded to go through the intersection lights and sirens but the semi truck that was comming down the road was unable to stop. The ambulance was struck and rolled in front of the semi down the road. The truck driver was injured and required transport to the same emergency room that the ambulance that he hit was going to. The crew inside the struck ambulance all perished in the wreck along with the patient that they were so desperatly trying to save. So by the driver disregarding his own saftey and the saftey of his crew and the public around him there are now 3 deceased EMT's, 1 deceaced Pt. and 1 injured truck driver. So if you forget about your saftey and the ones around you, you may end up saving no one at all.

Kinda different than lacking the basic skills and not being willing to take a minor risk when there's a life in the balance. Thankfully the bystanders were not so Charlie Sierra.

With all due respect - I believe that the deputy in question said he would never ask anybody to do that dive. He didn't say he wouldn't do it himself. I agree with Thal that if this particular PSD wouldn't do this dive then he is in the wrong line of work, however I will give him the benefit of doubt that he was referring to asking someone else being asked to do that dive with an unknown level of training versus someone who has the appropriate training.

Kinda different than lacking the basic skills and not being willing to take a minor risk when there's a life in the balance. Thankfully the bystanders were not so Charlie Sierra.

just a note, the driver in the story "was just running a stop sign" much like the diver would have been "just doing a quick 40ft bounce dive"

one ended horribly and the other could have ended badly as well...

just a note, the driver in the story "was just running a stop sign" much like the diver would have been "just doing a quick 40ft bounce dive"

one ended horribly and the other could have ended badly as well...

Yes, but, the example of the ambulance driver is a common everyday occurance, sirens blasting, lights flashing, they aproach stop signs and stop lights, verify no traffic and blow them. Saves countless lives, this example unfortunately ended in tragedy. If I enter any field where my job is to put my neck on the line for the welfare of others, there's an assumed risk there and I'm accepting it. Doesn't mean that I don't take necessary precautions for the welfare of the rescuee and those around me as I'd hate to jeopardize anyone elses welfare, but I do my job to the best of my ability and that would include a 40' bounce with 300PSI, heck, 40' I'm trying it without a tank, if not, I've just let myself and others down, not something I'm prepared to live with. This is a very minimal risk as to say, entering a burning building, also done on a regular basis as it comes with the job.

To each their own though, that's why some people are firefighters, cops...and others are....uhhhhh, well...NOT....there's A types and B types.:wink:

The diver involved in the accident on Saturday 6/6 is in the hospital. She is in critical condition, but stable.

MASK, her dive club in Dertroit is thankful to everyone who responded to the incident. Without the help of those who responded, she would not have made it to the hospital alive.

Thank you.

Thanks so much for the information and please convey my best wishes to her family and friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom