Incident at pool today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,
A training assistant has pretty much all of the "duties" (alathough duties isn't the exact word I am looking for) of an AI except they don't count towards student/instructor ratios. I've been a TA for about 2 years now. We fall under the instructors insurance because and are not allowed to do anything until the instructor has covered it first and they must be present at all times. It's like Sherpa training :)

Joe

Khacken,
You have been certified for ONLY 6 months and at the time you joined hardly had more dives under your belt than was necessary to get the certifications you have. A little humility can go a long way. There is a reason that EVERYONE here is telling you what you did was wrong and should never be done. I know you jumped on here wanting to share your experience with your new certification and all and it backfired. Suck it up and drive on. Learn the lesson and get over it.

Joe

Quite an interesting thread (parts really cracked me up) with lots of good positive information that might actually prevent a few accidents if it is taken to heart. I hope ones ego doesn't get in the way of learning. I've been diving for a long time with lots of certifications and I still learn all of the time. Don't ever feel that you know it all. In general, those who have the experience have a lot to offer, if you will just listen and stop trying to defend your position.

kracken, don't get mad and leave. You ARE welcome here. I have learned a lot from your post.

Kracken, I reread the first post again. You said that after surfacing, y'all descended again. If you didn't put his weight belt back on, I agree he must have been grossly over weight. The rapid ascent was not caused by the loss of weight belt since he descended again without it.

fmw625:
Kracken, I reread the first post again. You said that after surfacing, y'all descended again. If you didn't put his weight belt back on, I agree he must have been grossly over weight. The rapid ascent was not caused by the loss of weight belt since he descended again without it.

(for some reason, if you have a snorkel, MOF, or unsecured octo, I am going to watch you!!)

You better get rid of that snorkel or you could become the his next "victim."

He was WAY over the top.

regardless of how he went back down you never, never, remove a divers weight belt at depth even if it's in a pool. Unless of course you are the benficiary on his life insurance. The worst part of all of this is the OP seems to have learned nothing and as a result there is a chance of someone getting hurt in the future.

I know because of this thread that if I can't pull, push or drag a victim to the surface I'll never drop his weights. The point I was making was that he was grossly over weight. The point you are making is never drop weights unless on surface.

fmw625:
I know because of this thread that if I can't pull, push or drag a victim to the surface I'll never drop his weights. The point I was making was that he was grossly over weight. The point you are making is never drop weights unless on surface.
I don't know of any BC that doesn't have 6 pounds of lift. If the guy was supposedly neutral with 2 pounds of lead then at 8 pounds the BC only had to support 6 pounds at the surface.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom