Incident at pool today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main problem is the OP's attitude toward the "victim" he "rescued." The "victim" was in no danger and he only real problem the OP addressed was tank slippage. If the "victim" was 6 lbs over weighted with a full tank, he would be fine at the end of his dive.

fmw625:
I know because of this thread that if I can't pull, push or drag a victim to the surface I'll never drop his weights. The point I was making was that he was grossly over weight. The point you are making is never drop weights unless on surface.

Did the OP try to " pull, push or drag a victim to the surface" and fail? if so then we are all wrong and the OP was right. Assuming he also tried to inflate the "victims" BC

Its not "never drop weights unless on the surface" its only drop weights at depth if there is no other way to surface.

Per OP, victim had only 10 lbs, was maybe 6 - 8 lb overweighted. Say a full tank, so there's another 5 lb of air weight (I'm used to pool test fills that are only a bit over 2K psi), makes you 11 - 13 pounds negative at the start.
Even my Aeris travel BC has > 30 lbs of lift, enough to move me at start of dive with an "extra" 13 lbs, unless I, too, am grossly overweighted (far more over weighted than the "victim?)

Tassie_Rohan:
How would a loose tank cause an OOA? Its a common occurrence for new divers - but even if the tank is hanging down by their knees it's still secured by the inflator hose and the reg still works. I've watched many divers dive away completely oblivious to a loose tank. Best course of action is to just get behind and adjust the tank..

...is a sad statement.

DSD

TheRedHead:
The main problem is the OP's attitude toward the "victim" he "rescued."
I agree with this 100%. It was this that resulted in OP taking a line of thinking he "needed" to ditch the weight belt of a fellow diver. It's the DM-itis, as explained in another thread. And it's really annoying.

The "victim" probably needed some assistance in the pool, but nothing beyond that. He didn't need to really become a "victim". He never needed to be "rescued".

Back
Top Bottom