Incident at pool today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd have to agree that unless you were working for the dive op or the pool company you didn't have any business jumping to help. At least not at that point! Unless of course he thanked you for your "help" in the end. Your profile shows you have only been certified OW for 4 months. I am not saying you don't know what you are doing but experience goes a long way.

Packhorse:
What happened to the OP?

Well, I hope it didn't take this as some "big accusation" because that's not what I intended. I certainly hope he returns and posts again.

khacken:
Are you saying that I caused the rapid ascent? That is a mighty big accusation.

Whether you caused the rapid ascent or not is debatable.
However you clearly stated that you removed another diver's weightbelt at depth.

That is an irresponsible action and you would have been in deep s**t if anything had happened to the other diver, like an embolism...
6ft of water can be enough for a serious embolism. Don't think just because it's a pool that this doesn't happen.

I am Rescue certified with 77 dives.
I have been with victim on every dive he has done (he has only done 12 dives), and I have assisted him before.
Victim is properly weighted at two pounds in pool, but will be less once he is more experienced (low body fat, muscular build, no neoprene). Victim had full tank at time of incident. Victim was able to dive with no weight after the incident and had to add to bc to be neutral (he only breathed the tank down to 1500 psi).

Prior to rapid ascent:
Victim bent knees and pushed off bottom.
Victim made a fin kick on the way to surface.
When I told him to watch his ascent rate, he stated "Why, it is only 12 feet here"

This diver had issues maintaining buoyancy at the surface of the pool. He was grossly overweighted. Victim was calm at depth, but struggling at the surface, and had troubles inflating BC there. He attempted to add air on the bottom, but could not get neutral. This air was dumped before the weights were removed.

khacken:
..snip..
Prior to rapid ascent:
Victim bent knees and pushed off bottom.
Victim made a fin kick on the way to surface.
When I told him to watch his ascent rate, he stated "Why, it is only 12 feet here"
..snip..

Were there other witnesses to this?
Don't get me wrong, you may well be right. What I'm trying to point out to you is that by removing his weight belt at depth you created a potential liability for yourself and you would not have a leg to stand on in court if you had to defend yourself.
I doubt if you would find an expert witness that would defend removing a weight belt at the bottom from an inexperienced diver whose BC was functional and with adequate lift capacity for the situation.
Removing it at the surface would be another situation altogether.

khacken:
I would disagree with that response. Moving the victim could have caused the tank to go all the way out. Then I would be dealing with an OOA.

How would a loose tank cause an OOA? Its a common occurrence for new divers - but even if the tank is hanging down by their knees it's still secured by the inflator hose and the reg still works. I've watched many divers dive away completely oblivious to a loose tank. Best course of action is to just get behind and adjust the tank.

It went from being an incident to a potential accident when you pulled your victims weights.

Theres only two times when anyone should touch my weights – when I am on the surface in a full on panic and screaming like a little girl, or when I am submerged, completely OOA and dead (and even in the later case the gear shouldn’t be interfered with if it can be helped).

Cheers,
Rohan.

Ah- memories...
I remember my pool lessons (within the last 2 yrs). I found it stressful but, I stuck with it. It was stressful because the instructors where moving quickly and somewhat impatiently with us. They certianly know their stuff though but, at the time I had a lot on my plate and was trying to absorb all the info! I'm not a good student but, I enjoy learning.

I went diving in June this yr for the first time since my O/W.
I'm still a bit of a spaz though. Call me "Urkle of the Sea (...or lake)". I had too much weight on my belt. My Bouyency control isn't perfected yet. It's like tripping under water!

I almost had an "OCD moment (no offence intended just in case). I was busy trying to calculate all my weights and how to place them properly. I couldn't count properly! It was crazy!! It was anxioty though. You don't want to look like your unsure or incapable when your a newbie. It'll pass in time though.

I hate feeling awkward with all the weight & 2 ton equipment! Gee, I can't wait till I try out the ocean with the EXTRA salt water weights. I should just do a shore dive so I can crawl out to the deep water!

TheRedHead:
Mask on forehead. And if anyone can save them, it's Jeff. :D

TGFT, I have been wondering what that meant for a couple of weeks now. I thought it was some new secret code or something.

Thanks red.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom