Inability to PEE !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ymy

Reaction score
Would extreme nervousness or tension cause a person to be unable to pee (despite having a full bladder) ?

Here's the reason I ask. I just came back from a dive trip over the weekend. On one of the boat dives, we were going to a pretty deep site (100+ fsw). During the boat ride there we (8 divers) were planning out the dive. One of the divers was strangely quiet throughout. Just nodding. When we got to the site there was this massively strong current. So we had to sit out and wait for the current to subside. That one diver then started to say that he couldn't pee ... after a while that his bladder hurt also. We had him try all sorts of things to no avail. Finally after about 45 minutes the current had subsided we decided to send him and another guy (massively seasick) back to shore on one of the boats. The rest of us had a great dive, leopard shark, school of barracudas and a giant manta ray !!

When we got back the guy said that as soon as the boat had turned back he was able to pee. Our conclusion was that he was too tense and nervous about the dive. Yes, I agree he should just have spoken up and sat out the dive ... but he didn't. STUPID, yes, so its just as well he was afflicted as he was. What I am curious about is if that is a common "symptom" of nervousness. I thought you pee in your pants when you are scared.

Hey Uncle Pug,

I thought pucker factor affected the other excretory organ?!

Was it cold? It could have been extreme shrinkage.

Seriously, stress effect people in different ways so I wouldn't be surprised that if there were no other symptoms and it resolved itself when the dive was called then it could be chalked it up to stress and watch to make sure there are no other symptoms.

Chad

How true, how true!

I guess I wish there was great whites cruising around when I'm diving drysuit. That would stop the urge.

devilfish ... from what the guy was saying ... the urge was still there ... just the ability was gone. Not sure I understand it either. Guess it must be like having a tight band at a strategic location.

.... and wasn't able to pee until he left the site.....:confused:

Did anyone actually check and see if he had his 'baby-making' tackle caught up in the anchor line/

:rolleyes:

Just a thought!

Aquamore
:jester:

For a long time I just couldn't bring myself to baptize my wetsuit; it was custom & cost more than my wedding dress. Actually, being able to relax in the water helped. Stress & fashion inhibited my bladder for a couple of months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom