In Who's Eyes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is room for improvement in all divers and a good diver will recognize this and strive to become better. A good diver knows their limitations and dosen't exceed them.

There are good open water divers, there are good wreck divers, cave divers and ice divers. A good open water diver in Cozumel may not be a good diver in cold waters in the Puget Sound. A good diver for me is someone that can react to a situation in the appropriate way for the enviornment. If I am diving with an experienced diver in 30-40fsw in the tropics, sure I want them to be close enough to help me if there is a problem. If I am tooling around in or on a wreck in cold water, I want that individual to know what to do when the wheels fall off.

All divers should have a basic skillset that they need to be good at. That skillset changes in different enviornments.

My .02

Marc

For the record...
The Flower Garden Banks NMS (Gulf of Mexico) is the northernmost active continental reef system in the hemisphere.

I agree with some others that a truly "good" diver is more than one who is not a danger to himself and others and has fun. To me, a truly good diver is also aware of his surroundings and environment and makes an effort to preserve that environment. I know of some divers who can take care of themselves and their buddies and are blithely happy...as they dynamite and/or poison reefs in order to gather exotic species for sale. I don't count them among the ranks of "good divers".

I'm not sure of the name of the reef; but I saw something on MSN about a reef off the Alaskan shores that are quite beautiful and not visited much. Probably cause the water is really cold there....

Maybe, Google has the answer.

Humble older aquaman:
Also believe Leah was rhetorically asking question about perfection...something none of us are.
Hoa!
No my question was not about perfection, but rather personal perception. I think there are certain standards that either make one good or not. I also think there are certain attitudes that either one recognizes it or not.

I think a good diver is one who is skilled in the water and skilled using his gear. That aside, I think there are a lot of good points in the other thread--- asking someone what they think makes a good diver reveals a great deal about the diver answering the question. Also how they rate other divers tells you a lot about them too.

For instance, if you take me—a relatively new diver with about 50 dives under my belt and I were to go diving with the man himself Jacque Custo. Pick any site you like anywhere in the world under any conditions. And after the dive I say:

1 That Jacque guy really isn’t all he is cracked up to be! I mean I could really teach him a thing or two, but you know guys like him—you can’t teach them anything. I didn’t want to embarrass him in front of everyone—so I just let it slide---but he is not that good in the water.

2 Wow, I just went diving with Jacque Custo! What a guy! I was really in awe of him and he is a great diver—really showed me the ropes. He was graceful, great buoyancy, trim—he just seemed to belong. Watching him, I really learned something.

In response 1, you think I am a jerk. In response 2, you think hey she learned something specific and was aware of the other diver and pointed out some things that are important in diving.

Hearing 2 different people describe diving with the same person in a manner like responses 1 and 2 prompted me to ask the question. I think some decide whether or not someone is a good diver based on skill and some objective facts. Others decide whether or not someone is good based on personal ego.

I wanted to know what objective things people used to evaluate whether or not someone is a good diver. None of us will ever be perfect in the water—but some get very close!

Duly noted.

Do like the perspective of perception over perfection. In some ways differences are more attracting than sameness. Perceived beleifs are also almost always stronger than known facts too.

Glad you pointed out my mis-perception of your question!

Hoa!

Guess Leah and I were in the same book, if not exactly on the same page. People's perceptions, even though not even in the forefront of their conciousness, are more important in many ways than almost anything else.

One has to be aware that like seasoning in a restaurant meal individual technical skills once past the basic safety level can be judged differently by different people. Knowing why you judged a person a certain way provides valuable self insight. Knowing why someone else is proclaiming another person a good diver, or a bad diver provides valuable insight into the proclaimer.

Back
Top Bottom