In Victoria May 19th to 28th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have some family obligations (wedding and the stag precursor) but intend to do some diving with my son and brother (the groom). I did a couple of dives at Ogden Point last Sept, one at Henderson Point, and one at Albert Head, all with my brother. Honestly I would be OK just diving Ogden Point, but I am wondering about other options. Neither of us have done any drift diving to date, nor any deep dives. Son and I are doing AOW in June.

Comments / advice welcome.

Cheers.

Visibility hasn't been too great recently due to the increased plankton and algae/kelp from the warmer weather. Ogden Point still has around 15ft visibility; I'd highly suggest making the trek to the end of the breakwater, as you'll see tons of life, even above 60fsw. Visibility should clear up by the end of this month, I hear.

There's a group that goes out of Ogden Point Dive Centre on Wednesday nights. You can also test out the drop in dive at Frank Whites Dive Shop on Saturday mornings; they go to a variety of dive sites.

Some other sites are in the Saanich Inlet (Willis, McKenzie, or Henderson), but you'll get around 10ft visibility or less unless you go deeper. I would suggest Ten Mile Point, but you'd have to watch your tide tables, and depending on when you go, it might be a drift dive. I guess you could do Spring Bay, which is close by. Even if you just did Ogden Point the whole time, you'll still have pretty great dives.

I'm a fan of spring bay, a couple hundred dives there and I've seen lots. I usually work my way toward 10 mile point underwater and see what the current is like. Great spot for nudibranchs, sculpins and on the wall, red Irish lords.

From what i hear just stay out of the inlet right now unless you like divining pea soup and if you do go into the inlet make sure to bring your dive light cause if you get under the bloom you are going to be doing a night dive. I did a pair of dives at ogden last weekend and vis was about 15ft

Back last night, had a great time. We managed 9 dives in between all of the wedding stuff, all at Ogden Point. Saw some sea lions, son found an octopus den :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom