In the beginning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Clabuesh is the Diving Safety Officer for the University of California Santa Cruz. His is also a Force Fin user with lots of experience and knowledge above and below the water. Have you seen Encounters at the end of the World? Well this is a photo Steve took of Cecilia Shin while on location working with the science and film crews for the movie.
steveclabuesch_UCSC2.jpg

Cecilia Shin dives her Force Fin PROS at Wale Dive Hole, New Harbor, Antarctica. Photo by Steve Clabuesch.

Last month starting on the 22nd of August I was fortunate enough to work as the camera assistant and Underwater Lighting Supervisor for the British Broadcasting Corporation. We were filming a segment for one of their series on the natural history of the Earth. Director of Photography for the shoot was Simon Wagen.

bpb_camrabbc_mk.jpg

Me with the little underwater camera we were using

We were filming for three days off the coast of California,offshore from the city of Goleta. The dive site was called Shane Seep.
bubleup_bbc_bpm.jpg

Shane Seep is a natural gas seep that has been active since the 1960’s. It has been the most intensively studied Seep in the area. We had Ira Leifer,the scientist who among other things specializes bubbleology on board and a full group of University of California Santa Barbara Research Divers including the Man himself who the Seep is named after – Shane Anderson, who has been the Chief Collector and Naturalist for the University of California at Santa Barbara since 1975. It was great having him on board as I have known and respected Shane and his work since 1992. He is also an old friend of Bobs. Eric Hessel was the Dive Safety Officer. Another great surprise as I have begun training with Eric and have great respect for all the work he is accomplishing at UCSB as the Diving Safety Officer.
eh_bbcshoot.jpg

Eric clears us for the next dive off the back off the Conception dive platform.
waterbbc.jpg

Natural oil seep can be seen at the surface of the water at the dive site.

The dive site was at 65 FSW, flat sandy bottom where some areas of tar usually covered by a thin layer of sand. Small streams of bubbles blanket the site estimated at 2- 50 bubble streams per square meter and part of the dive briefing includes being aware of the disorientation that you will experience diving through the methane bubbles. I did not believe this would affect me, but on every dive I had experienced the disorientation. Some of the Bubble seeps are very intense and we were always warned to listen. Listen for the rumble as once in awhile a gas pocket will concentrate under the sand and erupt into a massive bubble with a meter or more in diameter.

The crew was great and I have always enjoyed working with blokes from the British Broadcasting Corporation. I chose my XXL Excellerating Tan Delta Sapphire Blue, Diamond Clear whiskers, Comfort instep and Bungie Heel strap for this shoot.
ff_ghostbbc_bpm.jpg

My foot is 10.5 US and I was wearing my Gates Drysuit with a Flexible boot and the fit was great. Pushing and using the lights for Simon underwater was made easy with my Force Fins. Thanks again Bob for making a Smart Fin!

Steve Clabuesh is the Diving Safety Officer for the University of California Santa Cruz. His is also a Force Fin user with lots of experience and knowledge above and below the water. Have you seen Encounters at the end of the World? Well this is a photo Steve took of Cecilia Shin while on location working with the science and film crews for the movie.
steveclabuesch_UCSC2.jpg

Cecilia Shin dives her Force Fin PROS at Wale Dive Hole, New Harbor, Antarctica. Photo by Steve Clabuesch.

My DREAM diving location!!!! :shocked2: I would LOVE to go there and dive!!!

wow- some nice pictures you got here.
it's really nice to see all the divers that support force fins are so many: in my country, israel, force fins are rare to non-existent. up till now i've seen israely divers with mostly paddle fins (and monofins in the free diving dept.- i have one too).
and it's very interesting to see all the locations people have gone to.

huh?
i figured you were israeli/jewish or something since the "avi" part in your username.
its nice to know more of us scout the depths searching for something.
the israeli diving community is HUGE but undermentioned.
have you ever been to eilat (north part of the red sea)? its incredible.
and when it comes to the army- i plan on serving as a diver once the time for my drafting arrives :)

I am from Kibbutz Givat Brenner and I live in Florida now.
I learned to dive in Eilat and lived in Sharm El Sheik before we gave it back.
So you want to be a diver? I have some friends who were in Shayetet. Where are you in Israel? Force Fins Ha snaperim hachi tov ba olam!

im already a certified diver, i want to serve in the military as a diver.
i also got my license in eilat.
im near tel aviv so diving and sailing on a daily basis is widely available. i scuba dive in tel aviv only to train my propulsion and buoyancy skills but its also good for freediving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom