In search of octo holder that actually works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's probably the geek factor.

+1 on that. Moties, in particular, are among system adminstrators' patron saints.
There may be some correlation in that "it" professionals are one of the few remaining kinds still gainfully employed and thus able to afford this hobby.

There may be some correlation in that "it" professionals are one of the few remaining kinds still gainfully employed and thus able to afford this hobby.
I don't know enough about the professions of other members on this board to either agree with or challenge that assertion, BUT, it does apply to both me and my dive-buddy son. :)

Please tell which agencies require this
You misinterpreted my post.

It was inferred previously that BSAC require a specific method for the placement of the Octo.

In my experience this is untrue, they are are a free as everyone else with how you stow your octo. It just needs to be visible and accessible, and the buddy be briefed and aware.

I personally stow mine on a rubber necklace with the Alt hose coming under the left arm (as opposed to the right as most setups) Mine works very well for donation, and I was also allowed to use it on my PADI DM. You just brief your buddy.

There is often debate about the validity of the "Golden Triangle" when you are in a correct horizontal trim, for which I have no answer.

I have no personal need of the 6' hose for my type of diving. I find it to be excessive. That doesn't mean I wouldn't dive with some who used that method, nor would I rule that rig out for future diving if the circumstances dictated it was teh best solution

@Diving Dubai the statement was indicating that BSAC is the only agency to my knowledge that specifically forbids primary donate, not about the golden triangle. My apologies if that was unclear. That said, secondary take doesn't work in a necklace so you do have to put it somewhere else, which is in the typical PADI "golden triangle" location

@Diving Dubai the statement was indicating that BSAC is the only agency to my knowledge that specifically forbids primary donate, not about the golden triangle. My apologies if that was unclear. That said, secondary take doesn't work in a necklace so you do have to put it somewhere else, which is in the typical PADI "golden triangle" location
BSAC does not forbid primary donate. We just don't authorise it as part of our core training. Divers are permitted to use a primary donate configuration, providing they've received certified training.

BSAC does not forbid primary donate. We just don't authorise it as part of our core training. Divers are permitted to use a primary donate configuration, providing they've received certified training.

Clarification statement on Alternative Supply training and going diving - British Sub-Aqua Club

Rec

d. It is recommended by BSAC that divers who use a life supporting technique, eg. Primary Donate, in which they have not been formally trained should seek and obtain a recognised qualification in its application. Insurers and the courts may seek evidence of competency in the event of proceedings or a claim following an incident.

Tech

d. The BSAC recommends that in the case of out-of-gas during the decompression phase of a dive, the response should be one of self-sufficiency. The out-of-gas diver should NOT rely on donation of gas from a buddy but switch to their own backup or travel gas as an appropriate breathable gas and they must have a bailout plan that accommodates this. A buddy should NOT be expected to donate their own decompression gas until such time as they have completed their own decompression requirements, unless their decompression gas configuration carries a second regulator specifically for this purpose.

e. Any reliance on the buddy donating, or allowing the out-of-gas diver to 'take' a decompression regulator will destabilise BOTH divers, double the amount of gas switching required and cause BOTH to break their decompression schedule.

@Marie13

This is the one I meant, holds the octopus firmly, keeps out debris, easy enough to disconnect. Scubapro also make a couple of magnetic ones, know nothing about them.
View attachment 409151
I tried this one and did not find it secure enough. It could easily be pulled out either by something catching the hose or by a surf wave. That's why I went to complete bungee loop around the mouthpiece with the cord lock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom