In need of Thai advice for May, 2014 please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Thailand back in 1990 and remember snorkelling over beautiful reefs near several islands. Since then the reefs near this islands have been destroyed by silt from over development , damage by anchors,snorkelers and divers as well as over fishing....very very sad.

I hate to agree. I see daily pics of Ao Nang and Phuket dives from friends with dive ops facebook and have to agree...the difference is noticeable in viz and amount of marine life. I havent personally dived thailand since 2012 but noticed the difference from 2008 and can only shake my head...big fish? gone...yes I know there are whale shark sightings and the mantas still show up and you can still see leopard sharks at shark point some days..but it used to be every day. The sheer biomass of fish is rapidly disappearing. I still like thai diving but like thai tourism, too much of a good thing without adequate controls can turn into a bad thing quickly. Its not that thai diving is over...its that its glorious days are harder and harder to find, but that can be said for almost all of south east asia.

Having said that...I think the OP should also consider Ao Nang which is where I enjoy both the diving and the laid back vibe and dont get my dress stolen by ladyboys. Having a favourite Dive Op there - Poseidon Dive - helps. Can highly recommend these guys. You can do phi phi islands and the shark point/king cruiser/anenome reef super day from there as well as the local islands.

thanks for the info guys!

-the similan national park closes on may 16... is this the best place to dive in thai? there seem to be MANY decent options
-is Koh Samui scuba any good please? worth diving?
-is there really no place on the thai mainland (not on an island) that has good boat diving less than 20 minutes from shore? this is surprising

---------- Post added March 31st, 2014 at 12:08 AM ----------

i wrote them on march 28... theyre still responding haha
but thanks for the info!

1. No, Similans national park is very nice, especially Koh Bon and Koh tachai, Similan Islands themselves have not been very good this season IMO. Also excellent diving are Rochelieu Rock in Surin National Park, and further South Hin Daeng and Hin Muang. Other really good sites IMO are Koh Haa, Bida Nok, Bida Nai and Hin Bida in Phi Phi area and Shark Point area in between Phuket-Phi Phi-Ao Nang.
2. IMO not worth it.
3. Yes, there really is not.

-ideally i would like to dive for ~3 days. any dive places where the boat ride to the dive sites is no more than 20-30 minutes from shore?
Not in the Andaman Sea

-air tickets to phi phi seem to be harder to find than to phuket
OK, got you, so if the boat ride is longer than 20-30 minutes you want to go on a liveaboard. I did not make that connection, but yes, if that is the case a liveaboard is the option for you.

Yes, if you decide to go to Phi Phi both Krabi and Phuket are options, with Krabi probably the faster connection.

-yeah, i just feel thats the best use of time.. maybe im wrong.. if there are 4-tank boat day-trips, but i doubt it. ive only seen 3-tank trips myself. i would personally like 4 dives (or 3 +1 night dive) each day.
-looks like the ferry to phiphi is the most practical, but im still leaning towards a liveaboard

thanks!

---------- Post added March 31st, 2014 at 01:43 AM ----------

im going to email info@thailand-scuba.com with some questions about the liveaboards

-yeah, i just feel thats the best use of time.. maybe im wrong.. if there are 4-tank boat day-trips, but i doubt it. ive only seen 3-tank trips myself. i would personally like 4 dives (or 3 +1 night dive) each day.
-looks like the ferry to phiphi is the most practical, but im still leaning towards a liveaboard

thanks!

---------- Post added March 31st, 2014 at 01:43 AM ----------

im going to email info@thailand-scuba.com with some questions about the liveaboards
may is beginning of monsoon season on west coast thailand. diving on east coast thailand sucks. why not try east coast malaysia? its in season and better diving than west coast thailand anyway. got perhentians, redang, tenggol, tioman islands. unless you would rather be surrounded by hot thai chicks than muslims wrapped in tablecloths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom