In need of Thai advice for May, 2014 please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i appreciate the input (honestly). but then i might as well just go to the great barrier reef :)
i want to do land (non-scuba) activities as well and my guess is thai is probably better than malaysia for this...maybe not?
definitely no interest in the hijab-honeys..which is why im bringing my own russian one wrapped in nothing :)

...Similan Islands themselves have not been very good this season IMO.

I thought the Similans were better this year than at least the past several years. Harlequin shrimp, lots of ornate ghost pipefish, frog fish, new nudis, etc. Maybe the northern sites are just so much better than in prior years that it makes the Similans look not as good.

Koh Tao is well known for obtaining open water certifications. But for quality of diving the Andaman Sea wins hands down, year round.

Also from Phi Phi good divesites in around 30 minutes BTW.

thanks!
and hows the diving off koh tao?
from what ive read the gulf of thailand is pretty weak compared to the andaman sea
thanks

KT has a couple of good dive sites, but personally I wouldn't go there for a dive specific trip. Andaman sea is generally far superior to the Gulf all year round and the best Thailand has to offer. In the Gulf my preference would always be Koh Chang, generally I find this island to be a much nicer environment than KT. Dive sites are relatively close, but May is when the weather and conditions down there can start to deteriorate, as always with the weather, just pot luck when you happen to be there.

thanks for the info!

can anyone please tell me if Ko Phangan or Samui have any decent diving?
all signs point to the andaman sea weather being likely bad for diving in May. ive read that liveaboards often dont have enough divers to sail in May

No, mostly you will dive the same sites as you would from KT, just a longer boat trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom