• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

In desperate and immediate need of Phuket recommendations

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Pillpusher, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Pillpusher

Pillpusher Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Any thoughts on the Octavia?

2. stevenl

stevenl Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Let's just say I totally disagree with your assessment of the boats.

Pillpusher likes this.
  3. stevenl

Basic, but good crew. Excellent value, and 5 days trips are really nice, or if you're limited in time their 3 days/2 nights to Northern destinations.

Also happy to help you with this :)

Pillpusher likes this.
  4. Pillpusher

Pillpusher Manta Ray

Lol. While there was certainly a little bit of odd ratings criteria mixed in there, but I appreciated the feedback nonetheless...lol. Trying to plan a 2 1/2 week trip in a day with shotty internet was a daunting task, so any intel was useful intel.

I had to make a decision so I could get my land accommodations on the books, so I went ahead and booked a 5/6 on Octavia yesterday. I liked the itinerary and most of the reviews I was able to find were positive. I also liked that their single supplement was 30% rather than 100%, as I tend to prefer having my own space if it’s more than just a few days.

5. stevenl

I think 5/6 is a bit deceiving, with really 5 diving days and 1 departure day. I'm sure you'll enjoy that trip.. Leaving on the 15th or 21st?

6. Pillpusher

Pillpusher Manta Ray

Yeah, I noticed a lot of variety in how the different boats listed them. As long as it was 5 diving days, I was good with it. And I like the idea of motoring out at night and hitting the water first thing in the morning. I’m on the 21st trip.

7. vovanx

vovanx Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    what are your favourites and un-favourites and why?

8. Pillpusher

Pillpusher Manta Ray

Favorites-Long walks along the beach and candlelit dinners

dislikes-The word “moist”

9. stevenl

I would love to answer but can not, partly due to Thailand's defamation laws.

I can say though that you're ranking boats high on your list, even though some of these have been putting of their compulsory yearly shipyard visit and inspection in exchange for paying a fine. But I can not name names here.

10. lowwall

lowwall Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    This is one of the reasons I recommend talking to Steven or someone like him if you are going to be diving in the area. Unlike, for example, Cozumel or Bonaire, you can't really do sufficient research on the internet because the Phuket boats are mostly owned by rich (i.e. powerful) Thais and the people who really know what's going on have too much to lose to post publicly.

It's a win/win because you get accurate information and the booking dive shop gets a commission that the boat operators otherwise just keeps. It's like the old days of travel agents, you might as well get the advice and convenience since you'll pay the same either way.

There are a few boats that can't be booked by the shops, but Steven at least will still give the info on those boats so you can book them yourself if it's your best option.

stevenl likes this.