In desperate and immediate need of Phuket recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillpusher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so, long story short, I went to the airport tonight ready to begin the 2 1/2 week dive trip I had planned for the Philippines, which I booked nearly a year ago. NOW, I'm on a flight to Bangkok with no reservations and no idea what my plan is when I get there. Thanks coronavirus!!! I normally spend months researching and planning trips like this. Tonight, I figure I have roughly 10 hours of internet service to figure out a rough game plan. So, I come to you, my SB brethren, for some much needed assistance and guidance.

I'll be arriving in Bangkok on the 13th and will have to figure out how to get to Phuket when I land. I'll be flying back to Houston on the 29th. So, I'll have a little over 2 weeks there. From what I've gathered so far, I'm guessing I'll end up doing some sort of combination of land based day trips, and a liveaboard trip or two.

How would you allocate your time? What can I absolutely not miss? Dive op/boat recommendations? I have zero interest in cattle boats. I'd rather swim to there and drown in the process. Any, and I mean ANY, information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm literally flying blind here.

A million thanks in advance

**Side note**
I read in another thread that some boats put a hard depth limit on OW divers. I'm OW, but have been diving for over 25 years and have over 500 dives (I took a long break in the late 90's for college and to be a broke recent graduate). I know what I'm doing, and I'm ok with having to earn the trust of the guides first... But I don't care for the idea of being forced to dive with all the newbs in the shallows the entire time. So, I'd rather avoid boats with that policy set in stone.

Why Phuket?

Why Phuket?

No reason in particular. I just initially chose it (the result of a 15 minute research session as the plane taxied) since I figure it will be the easiest to get to from Bangkok, most dive spots are within reach of it, one way or another, and it will likely have more options and flexibility on short notice. But, I'm clearly open to suggestions.

You're very welcome here. As it happens I am doing the deep part of the advanced course with 2 divers on Friday, free of charge, just to prevent possible issues for them elsewhere. Because yes, often it is just a money grab.

You're very welcome here. As it happens I am doing the deep part of the advanced course with 2 divers on Friday, free of charge, just to prevent possible issues for them elsewhere. Because yes, often it is just a money grab.

Wow, that’s incredibly cool of you to do for them. Do you run a dive op down there or something?

Yes, see my signature.

I'm diving with them anyway, so not much trouble for me. If you want to join, this Friday or another trip, you're welcome.

Ah, gotcha. I’m using my phone and the sigs apparently don’t show up. Found it on you page, though. That’s quite the fleet you have running there!...lol. I’ll definitely take a look at it!

Dive op/boat recommendations?
Best boats: Sirolo Dive, I Love Diving, Mandarin Queen — very large, spacious, delicious food.
Good boats: Local Dive Thailand, Similan Queen, Dive Asia*, Latitude — smaller, less delicious food.
Normal boats: Happy Star, South Siam Diving**, Freedom Dolphin***.

* - one of my favourites because almost every dive is a pickup dive: captain will pick you up wherever you are even if you swim away on "back to the boat" dives. Without this I would rate it as "Normal boat".
** - (their boat number 1, "S.Somboon") one of my un-favourites because the boat is small and not very comfortable, also the food is mediocre. The good thing is - it goes to King Cruiser every day so if you want to go to King Cruiser and other boats are full then there is a high chance you can book with South Siam.
*** - tends to be always crowded. But has delicious food, so I still rate it as "Normal".

there are many other dive boats on Phuket but I did not try them yet.

Any recommendations on what area to stay? Patong Beach? Do the dive shops do pickups, and if so, from what areas?

Back
Top Bottom