In Defense of Pony Bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HawaiiDiver

Registered
Reaction score
"If you think you need a pony, you really need doubles.

If you don’t need doubles, then you don’t need a pony.”

Oh really?

1) “You don’t need a pony bottle because your buddy is your backup.”

Response: You should be as self-sufficient as possible, with or without a buddy, and embrace the concept of self-rescue in all but the most extreme emergencies. Expecting your buddy to bail you out of every difficult situation is irresponsible. Even when diving with a buddy, you should be self-reliant in mindset and gear configuration. *You* should be your own backup in most circumstances.

2) “You wouldn’t need a pony bottle if you developed better gas management skills.”

Response: Your gas management skills are irrelevant since a pony’s primary duty is to provide complete redundancy in case of primary breathing system failure, not to compensate for poor gas management.

3) “Pony bottles are an entanglement hazard.”

Response: Compared to a single tank, a pony does theoretically provide more openings for entanglements. However, they are no more, and perhaps less, of a hazard than diving doubles. In addition, many technical divers mount their argon drysuit inflation cylinders in the exact same manner as a pony bottle and it has not significantly increased their chance of entanglement.

4) “Ponies increase drag.”

Response: When mounted properly close to your main cylinder, they are far more streamlined than the doubles used by technical divers and only marginally less hydrodynamic than a single cylinder.

5) “You cannot manipulate the valves on a pony bottle.”

Response: While it is true that operating the valve on an upright back-mounted pony is difficult (though not impossible), mounting the cylinder inverted remedies this issue. If using an upright bottle, leaving the valve on allows immediate access to your reserve gas. Since the reserve is not figured into your gas supply during dive planning, if a leak or unmanageable freeflow does occur, the dive can be terminated (if desired) without affecting your primary gas supply.

6) “You cannot hand off a pony to a distressed diver.”

Response: The primary purpose of a pony bottle is to provide redundancy in case of catastrophic failure of the diver’s primary breathing system, not a tool to manage someone else’s out-of-air emergency. However, many types of pony mounts have quick-releases that enable a pony to be handed off if the diver so chooses.

7) “A pony adds unnecessary bulk.”

Response: A 13 or 19 cu. ft. pony, perfectly adequate for recreational situations, adds little bulk or weight to a rig while adding an easy-to-operate, completely redundant breathing system. On the other hand, switching to doubles creates a very significant increase in bulk, drag, complexity and cost to a BC, and requires that the diver learn additional skills to manage the doubles effectively.

1) “You don’t need a pony bottle because your buddy is your backup.”

Response: You should be as self-sufficient as possible, with or without a buddy, and embrace the concept of self-rescue in all but the most extreme emergencies. Expecting your buddy to bail you out of every difficult situation is irresponsible. Even when diving with a buddy, you should be self-reliant in mindset and gear configuration. *You* should be your own backup in most circumstances. Strawman: I don't expect my buddy to bail me out of every difficult situation. I'm self-reliant in mindset and gear configuration. But I don't need a pony as an additional resource.... I have a buddy as an additional resource.

2) “You wouldn’t need a pony bottle if you developed better gas management skills.”

Response: Your gas management skills are irrelevant since a pony’s primary duty is to provide complete redundancy in case of primary breathing system failure, not to compensate for poor gas management.
Strawman: Gas management eliminates the extra gas portion of the arguement most folks make. Failure of *breathing system* is mitigated by: proper maintainence, diving redundant first stages when the surface is not immediately accessible and yes, having a buddy there.

3) “Pony bottles are an entanglement hazard.”

Response: Compared to a single tank, a pony does theoretically provide more openings for entanglements. However, they are no more, and perhaps less, of a hazard than diving doubles. In addition, many technical divers mount their argon drysuit inflation cylinders in the exact same manner as a pony bottle and it has not significantly increased their chance of entanglement.
Strawman: Just because some tech divers mount their argon tank like a pony does not argue for a pony. Doubles with a manifold and crossed hoses have the space between the tanks protected... unlike the pony bottle/main tank line trapper.

4) “Ponies increase drag.”

Response: When mounted properly close to your main cylinder, they are far more streamlined than the doubles used by technical divers and only marginally less hydrodynamic than a single cylinder.
Strawman: No only do they increase drag they are by nature lopsided which increases work load and that itself adds additional drag.

5) “You cannot manipulate the valves on a pony bottle.”

Response: While it is true that operating the valve on an upright back-mounted pony is difficult (though not impossible), mounting the cylinder inverted remedies this issue. If using an upright bottle, leaving the valve on allows immediate access to your reserve gas. Since the reserve is not figured into your gas supply during dive planning, if a leak or unmanageable freeflow does occur, the dive can be terminated (if desired) without affecting your primary gas supply.
If a leak occurs on a back mounted pony with the valve down (away from the divers head where the eyes and ears are located) the diver will not be aware of the gas loss until he/she is in need of it... and so the dive won't be terminated *as desired.*

6) “You cannot hand off a pony to a distressed diver.”

Response: The primary purpose of a pony bottle is to provide redundancy in case of catastrophic failure of the diver’s primary breathing system, not a tool to manage someone else’s out-of-air emergency. However, many types of pony mounts have quick-releases that enable a pony to be handed off if the diver so chooses.
You've never done this in real life, have you. That isn't a question.
7) “A pony adds unnecessary bulk.”

Response: A 13 or 19 cu. ft. pony, perfectly adequate for recreational situations, adds little bulk or weight to a rig while adding an easy-to-operate, completely redundant breathing system. On the other hand, switching to doubles creates a very significant increase in bulk, drag, complexity and cost to a BC, and requires that the diver learn additional skills to manage the doubles effectively.
Strawman: of course diving doubles requires that the diver learn additional skills to manage them effectively... so does using a mismatched un-manifolded set of doubles called a main tank and a pony! The notion that you can just strap on a pony without further thought or aquiring additional skills is absurd. But unfortunately is is also quite common.

Who/what are you quoting here, HawaiiDiver? Seems to me like you're preaching to the choir. Ponies rarely get talked down on here at all; usually it's things like the Spare Air that take the heat (and for good reason).

So, what's your point?

teknitroxdiver:
Who/what are you quoting here, HawaiiDiver? Seems to me like you're preaching to the choir. Ponies rarely get talked down on here at all; usually it's things like the Spare Air that take the heat (and for good reason).

So, what's your point?
Exactly. I went fly fishing on the Yakima River this week and didn't have as much success as teknitroxdiver did with Pug. However, I see UP only needs 37 more posts to hit 10,000. :wink:

teknitroxdiver:

So, what's your point?

I don't have a point - I'm not the author of the text, it was just something I found interesting and passed it along to the board.

Then you should probably post the source when doing this. Give credit where credit is due as bad as it may be.

I need to go out and get a pony. I had no idea I was so ill prepared for emergencies.

HawaiiDiver:
I don't have a point - I'm not the author of the text, it was just something I found interesting and passed it along to the board.

9975 + 37 = 10012 Took a while to respond, had to find that calculator thing.lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom