In case you haven't looked at the weather: Here comes Richard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just called Danielle at Turneffe Island Resort's front office in Houston.

She said TIR got a "direct hit." The docks are all down except for the main one. The lodge and guest quarters survived, but the smaller structures like the tiki huts are gone and there's still lots of standing water on the island.

She said the guests had been evacuated to the Radisson but then were moved from there to a hotel near the airport. Everyone's returning to the island today.

Obviously, it could have been a lot worse but all in all the damage there is manageable and most importantly no one got hurt.

Still a little worried about Hank.

Still a little worried about Hank.
I think Hank often has problems with internet access, and I hope that is all it is. From another thread...
We're kind of in a little protected hole here in Belize. For one to come in strong, it has to come in on a southwest line.....which they do, but not very often.

It does seem that people in the area under the track of the hurricane fared worse than us up here. I've spoken to several people in Dangriga, Belmopan and San Ignacio and there are stories of roofs missing, crops damaged, cables brought down, etc. But I don't believe the damage is anywhere near as bad as some reports are making out, and in particular the Belizean Prime Minister's estimate of damage costing Bz$33.5m seems very high. All will become clearer in a few days.

And yes, it may well be that Hank simply doesn't have internet access, and maybe not even electricity at present.

Heard from Hank on the Storm forum...
Lesson learned. I've been through at least 8 of these and you'd think I would have learned. I though this wasn't going to amount to much. Man....I'll never take one lightly again. They said CAT 1 here but on the farm, we had a lot of damage more associated with a 2-3. The wind sounded like a freight train coming through. Our trampoline flew up and hit the house, shattering the window in my bedroom. A mattress ended up in a tree. Wild.
67685_1543350715388_1583599415_1285132_783687_n.jpg

66309_1543346915293_1583599415_1285126_6241604_n.jpg

67401_1543343515208_1583599415_1285118_4593560_n.jpg

Where is the Storm forum? Please pass Hank my best wishes for a quick and not-too-costly recovery.

Where is the Storm forum?
Hidden within the Non-Diving forum. :silly: Storm Watch - ScubaBoard It's kinda died down to Lamont and I discussing new storms before we know where they're headed.

Hey. We're all fine. The eye passed about 2 miles north of my house so we got some really strong winds. I don't believe it was only a cat 1...I don't know...it launched some very heavy fiberglass tanks (see picture) and moved some almost 1/4 mile. It pinned a large mattress up in a tree, pitched my trampoline about 15 feet up and almost in my bedroom window. Sounded like a freight train. I remember Keith being in San Pedro at the time. The winds here at the farm were about the same.
My spearing buddies cobia cage farm was destroyed just southeast of Belize City.
If I go 6 miles south, it looks like a Cat 1. Some trees down, but that's about it. From Mullins River up to Belize got most of it.
I hate hurricanes. The day after you feel so burnt out from the adrenaline pump....felt like I hadn't slept for 3 days.
Thanks to all for the well wishes.
Lamont....lesson learned. After 8 of these, I'll NEVER take one lightly again. Whew !!!!

Wow, that's a sad story about the man killed by the jaguar.

Hank, glad to see you and yours are ok. Next time, don't wait so long before checking in! :no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom